• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ever Consider a Career Shift to Tax Assessor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Outlaw

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Just curious if anyone has ever shifted to or from fee appraising vs. tax assessor... Pros / Cons???

Hank

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Pros: Steady paycheck

Cons: Smaller paycheck

Pros: 9-5

Cons: No golf on Tuesday after lunch.

Pros: 2 weeks paid vacation

cons: That's it, no extra 3 day weekends when you want them, no knocking off at noon on Fridays...

Pros: Health insurance and retirement.

Cons: slow loss of touch with the current RE markets

Pros: nobody pushing for the highest possible value

Cons: Everybody pushing for the lowest.

Pros: chain of command

cons: often very political

Pros: all fees, CE and dues are paid for

cons: all the classes are from the NAAO

Pros: No more subscription fees or E/O

cons: can't think of one for that.

So, there you have it. Luckily, some assessor's offices will let you do fee work on the side, provided you avoid any conflicts of interest.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I have been asked to submit a resume for an Assessor here in MA from two different communities. Being self employed for 23 years it would be hard for me. I have several colleagues that have done so and they have do have a better structured life with weekends off, health insurance and a retirement plan. What stops me from doing so is my capacity to generate a week’s pay as an Assessor in one-day as an appraiser.

xmtpedprl

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
My guy on the Western Slope of Colorado did just that. We're sloooooow out there, and they took him on in a heartbeat when he called them. Joe can still do appraisal work, but not in the particular county in which he does assessing.

Dave..

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
What stops me from doing so is my capacity to generate a week’s pay as an Assessor in one-day as an appraiser.

And a good investment purchase can bring a 6 months chunk in at once.:flowers:

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I have been asked to submit a resume for an Assessor here in MA from two different communities. Being self employed for 23 years it would be hard for me. I have several colleagues that have done so and they have do have a better structured life with weekends off, health insurance and a retirement plan. What stops me from doing so is my capacity to generate a week’s pay as an Assessor in one-day as an appraiser.

This is a well known phenomenon. Holding out for what one could have over what one will have. And this is where honesty with one's self is tested. Can you be honest with yourself? You can make more in one day than an assessor can in one week. How often do you do this? How often can you do this? If the answer is "I don't know" then perhaps the "potential" outweighs the reality. Afterall, we all have the potential of being well off when our day comes that we win the lottery. The reality is most of us will never win the lottery.

I made some serious money in 2005 and 2006. My earnings averaged from 2003, when I started in this business, to the present shows I haven't done well at all. Because of fluctuations in the real estate market and in the general economy we can expect this business to always be feast or famine.

So, my suggestion for you is to consider that. Average your pay over the past 23, 15, 10 & 5 years. Perhaps it would be wise to adjust for inflation. See what your average yearly salary is. Then take another look at the assessor's position making sure to consider the benefits part of the salary. Then ask yourself if you're better off being self-employed or working for "the man".

I came from a pseudo government job as an IT professional at a college. I always heard the stories about how the job was sub-standard pay, how I could make tons more on the outside. Those stories came at me from all directions. So, I left seeking out those opportunities. What I found was it was true but only for a special few. I lack the fundamental ability to network successfully. I'm not a smoosher. I'm not a bullsheeter. I don't lie to impress others with abilities I don't possess. I give people honest opinions when they ask. I have all the qualities of a good person which happens to be all the qualities of a poor business person. Looking back now I know that those "under paying" government jobs are in actuality good jobs. Sure, you have to put up with a lot of crap. But it's steady work and you'll always get the pay you're due.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
The pay is too low... around here, you could make more as a shift supervisor at QT.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
CWD this is my service area in the photo below. I could not have provided this photo without my forum-friend PropertyEconomic who gave me the link to a capture a photo from Local Live.

There are about 10-11,000 homes. I'm within 15-20 minutes away from any subject on this island that I been servicing since 1985. Most appraiser dislike this area because the lack of data and the challenge of finding the properties. Appointments are rare for me, as most leave the door open or I get a key from an agent or a care-taker.

My valuation service is not just for lending. I only leave my office once a week to work this resort island. I only have two competitors and we are all friends. I have all the data; agents and other appraisers call me for my extensive data and knowledge of this island.

Attachments

• MV.jpg
    MV.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 42

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The state has an opening that they have been unable to fill for years now. 33K just doesn't cut it.

TC

Ryan Bailey

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
In the Phoenix area, Maricopa County, their are currently four positions with the assessors office. I interviewed with them and was offered a position. I ended up getting a position with a local MAI so I chose that instead.

http://www.maricopa.gov/human_resources/jobs_index.asp

Hot Job Posting Title Job Category Location Reference Job Basket
Appeals and Splits Supervisor $50,065 - $59,696 Annually
Area Manager Real Estate $59,051 - $79,060 Annually
Major Properties Supervisor $50,065 - $69,305 Annually
Mobile Homes Supervisor $50,065 - $59,696 Annually

plus you get three weeks vacation, plus 10 holidays, state retirement and get to rid the light rail if you want for free.

The pay is not that good, but it's consistent. I would have accepted the position if I didn't get on with the MAI. I'm just totally burnt out doing residential work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks