• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Excess Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sheriff

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Four bedroom property... three of the bedrooms and one bathroom were packed to the ceiling with excess clutter (or one man's gold). To access the master bedroom, you had to walk-thru the master bathroom to get to the bed because of all the debris build-up. One other bedroom was accessible to about four feet in, and then you need a shuffle to dig through the owner's stuff to get around. I checked a representive number of plumbing fixtures that worked (however, the hall bathroom bathtub was filled with junk). I am including the photos in my report obviously. However, is this a safety and/or health issue? Need I mention I counted approximately 30 cats inside the property and it smelled like a place that had 30 cats. Santa Ana is packed and couldn't take my call. Any guidance would be appreciated.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
So, you were not able to view the floor coverings or walk over the floors? Do you know if the carpeting has any holes in it? (tirp hazard) Is the floor soft or spungy under all of that debris? Could you open the doors to the bedrooms? You are rquired to inspect all of the subject property. If you can't, then you have to contact the lender and reschule an appointment when you can. It is the same thing as not being able to gain access to the attic or the crawl space. Don't send the report in until you can inspect the entire subject property.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Sheriff,

There definately are health and safety concerns! HUD will not and should not loan on this type of property without someone clearing out the property. There are more than likely areas where the cats have been doing their business for quite some time, there may be food stuffs stacked somewhere that are feeding the mice the cats may be dining on.

On some TV show they showed the health and safety concerns when cleaning out a house owned by a nice couple. The wife just went a little off the edge. It was amazing and horrifying all at the same time. The show went through the house and before all the health issues were solved they had removed all floor coverings and some sheetrock and even some cabinets I think.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks