• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

terr

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
What is the typical percentage of expenses to income for a one person appraisal shop?

Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Terr

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Looking back the past couple of years, I have been between 25-30% expense ratio. Off years were for start up, and very large computer or office equipment purchases.

My expenses are generally for:
2 REALTOR/MLS boards.
Subscription to private sales data service. (Kinda expensive, but worth it.)
Advertising & other social things like sponsoring a Realtor Board lunch, fund-raiser golf tournament, etc.
CE classed for me and my father (retired, but still dips his toes in the water)
Phone, Fax service, cell phone, and DSL internet.
Occasional paper purchases ( :D 99.9% is EDI :wink: )
Laser printer and ink jet printer supplies. Not too expensive if you shop around on the net.
At least one hardware purchase/upgrade every year. I never know what it is, but it seems that something breaks or gives out every year.
Software purchases/upgrades.
Oh, and business development......... country club golf membership. :D

I think those are the major things, I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but it must not be too big of an expense. As for my office, I work at home. So I don't really have any expenses there, I take the tax deduction.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Don't forget about vehicle & fuel expenses!

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I don't expense it as a company car, I deduct the milage. I might try the next car purchase that way though, I'll ax my CPA.

But with a Honda Accord, it is very reasonable. Got rid of my gas hog SUV for a smoother ride, and less of a fuel bill shock.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Gross vs Net was 10 to 4 ± ratio. Keep in mind I have some subcontractors to pay. I would still think if I discounted those, my gross would fall by about $30-40K and my expenses by 75% and I would venture the ratio would be some thing just below 50%. For practical purposes you will make 1/2 your gross. I would venture that to be quite close in a slow year...those MLS dues, etc. are fixed expenses that do not get cheaper just because you are working less.

Milage, depreciation, captial expenses, etc. are "real" expenses and don't be fooled into thinking the gross taxable on you tax return is not an accurate reflection of your actual financial condition.

ter

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Terrell-

You made a comment in a thread last week with regard to you paying 15 % for insurance. This so far as been omitted-I am surprised you missed it. But I didn't!

Health insurance, Life insurance, auto insurance, E &O, workers' compensation insurance.

And yes, rent so far is an oversight.

I think there are few places in the nation that "overhead" expenses are as high as here.

For a one person shop in rented space over 50 %.
For a one person shop at home about 50 %.
For a share office about 50 %.
I don't think one could structure a situation here where the overhead can go below 50 % and still conduct professional business.

I have commented on it before on the forum. Here, one can make far more money with way less grief and commitment:

Doin' nails or working as a waiter/waitress at a decent restaurant or saloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks