• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Expert Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor1

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I accepted an assignment from a mortgage lender for an FHA appraisal. During the examination of the subject, I noted numerous cracks in the brick veneer. The type of cracks and their number suggested there could potentially be a problem with the foundation. Based on these observations and in line with FHA protocol, I noted my observations and recommended an expert examine the subject to determine if there were any structural issues and marked the report subject to inspection and delivered the report.

Days later, the client sent to me an invoice from what I can only guess is a foundation repair company. There was only an invoice sent. The invoice was vague, but that is not the issue.

The client wanted a 1004D sent to them. I suggested to them that the under writer may be able to override the condition but I could not as I am no more expert examining foundation repairs and their adequacy than I am inspecting foundations which may have problems.

They are being rather insistent I either change my report to “as-is” or send them a 1004D obviously stating the repairs are complete.

All that being said, I have reflected on this and determined that the report was completed subject to the inspection resulting in no repairs/alterations. Obviously, some repairs were required and I am not qualified to evaluate the repairs, the quality of the repair, or the effectiveness of the repair.

I cannot send them a 1004D suggesting I approved the repair and I obviously cannot change the report to as is.

Any suggestions or guidance?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Ask for a letter from the contractor stating what repairs were made . Go out and see if they were made . Put a copy of the letter in the 1004d and state it appears the repairs noted in the letter have been made . Send photos of the repairs . What is so difficult about that ?

Last edited:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Agree with RSW who-ever that is : ) LOL

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Do not change your report...just add the final inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks