• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Exterior frame/stucco walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lax1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
This is a new home with the frame/stucco walls on the exterior which touch or actually go down into the ground with the sod placed around it. Other than noting the frame/stucco walls touch the ground for FHA does anything else need to be done?

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Doesn't matter , Read Mortgagee Letter 2005-ML-48.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
New home.....walls on the exterior which touch or actually go down INTO the ground ! Are you saying that the sod also TOUCHES the exterior wall there too ? That means any sprinkler system to support that lawn growth ALSO wets the exterior wall on a regular basis. These are quite atypical of expected landscape finish and likely violate local "code" or covenants.

This situation would be a concern for any lender, any buyer....and should have been a concern for the general contractor and the delegated subcontractor who had the task of completing the final site clean-up and finished grade for the surface around (and gently sloping away from) the foundation.

If it were my report......I would have extra photos from up-close and afar which showed this contact with soil and sod and the final grade appearance. I would note if there were, or were not, any guttering above to prevent water from a direct fall near to the ground there.....and I would verbally let the client know that this is NOT typical for exterior wall material (anything but poured concrete fndtn. wall) to have direct contact with the dirt !

More than likely, the client will share that concern and require that a re-grading be carried out to rectify this......or they might waive it. You will have done your job to document it. (It might generate a quick return visit to the property for your follow-up observation and photos.) Betcha....the contractor was unaware of this significance and was possibly p.o.'d at his boss that day. The worst that can happen is that the closing is delayed a few more days.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Not typical IN MY MARKET, there is usually 6" ~ 12" of foundation above grade and then the stucco. I can see where it might cause damage to the stucco but otherwise not a problem.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Stucco being a masonry material will wick water through if constantly in contact with the ground etc, so the wood framing behind it would eventually rot out, just like any other exterior cladding material in contact with the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks