• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fabric Material Closet Door (fashion Or Missing) FHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valueseeker

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Hello again,

This may fall into the overthinking category but I have to ask what others would consider this.
The FHA manual sounds like it 'may' consider it a defective door(?)
Capture.JPG

Anyhow,

FHA single family home appraisal.
-1 bedroom closet (where there should be a bifolding door, the homeowner had placed a curtain rod and curtains over the closet space. No closet door is there. I think it looks fine and some may even be partial to drapes over their closet space, but is this considered hiding a missing closet door or just preference in design?

Another question (same home).
There are two bedrooms that are divided by closet space. Each have separate entries to each bedroom but
they share the closet space. Where the closet door is in one room, opens to the closet space of the other room. (shared closet space). Now would this need to be partitioned off for each room or would this be fine. I couldnt find anything about shared/common closet space in the manual.

Thanks everyone

'Muchos appreciatos' 680918-200.png

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'll second that comment.

IMO those items do not rise to a level of utility loss that needs further consideration.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Hello again,

This may fall into the overthinking category but I have to ask what others would consider this.
The FHA manual sounds like it 'may' consider it a defective door(?)
View attachment 33748

Anyhow,

FHA single family home appraisal.
-1 bedroom closet (where there should be a bifolding door, the homeowner had placed a curtain rod and curtains over the closet space. No closet door is there. I think it looks fine and some may even be partial to drapes over their closet space, but is this considered hiding a missing closet door or just preference in design?

Another question (same home).
There are two bedrooms that are divided by closet space. Each have separate entries to each bedroom but
they share the closet space. Where the closet door is in one room, opens to the closet space of the other room. (shared closet space). Now would this need to be partitioned off for each room or would this be fine. I couldnt find anything about shared/common closet space in the manual.

Thanks everyone

'Muchos appreciatos' View attachment 33749
The first is just a curtain instead of a closet door, a cosmetic rather than functional issue, no law a closet has to have a door ...but the second example, two bedrooms sharing a closet, sounds like there is no wall separating the bedrooms where the closet is...aka a person can just walk through the "closet" and be in the other bedroom?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Some ethnicities are known to remove all interior doors and replace with curtains. Sorta a "feng shui" kinda thing.

Valueseeker

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
The first is just a curtain instead of a closet door, a cosmetic rather than functional issue, no law a closet has to have a door ...but the second example, two bedrooms sharing a closet, sounds like there is no wall separating the bedrooms where the closet is...aka a person can just walk through the "closet" and be in the other bedroom?
Yes, there is a wall that separates the bedrooms but the back of the closet is open to the other closet. both closets have doors on them. if both closet doors were open you could see into each room however if only one door was open at a time, it would appear to be a closet (albeit a shared one)

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Yes, there is a wall that separates the bedrooms but the back of the closet is open to the other closet. both closets have doors on them. if both closet doors were open you could see into each room however if only one door was open at a time, it would appear to be a closet (albeit a shared one)

That'ts funky as a functional issue as both bedrooms are open to each other with both closet doors open but imo is not to the level I'd make it subject to repair, just mention it and it is not a positive feature so factor it in to the whole, which sounds like it may be a lower end house anyway in quality of construction.

Valueseeker

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks