• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fake Appraisal Invoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
This proves one thing, if you intentially try to cheat, you deserve anything you get, but being a white collar crime, they probably won't get enough.

Many of my students ask about Flipping and I tell them, if it's a flip, you will know it, if you appraise a flip, then you deserve what you get. The problem is, a few of the appraisers will go ahead and appraise the property, knowing it's a flip. Those appraisers must be extremely careful to explain all the details of the sale and all the repairs made on the property. If not, then the appraiser deserves anything they get.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Nice little family business. :angry:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I am very careful to distinguish between legal and illegal "flips". Flipping has been a common occurance in the real estate industry for decades. Buy low, sell high. Buy fixer uppers...fix them up (sweat equity or what ever) and sell them for a profit. Not illegal!

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Mike,

I agree, the most important thing you said is "Fix it Up" and of course you know that, when flips occur, there is usually no fixing it up and the property sells very quickly and there is usually an agreement between the buyer and seller.

They will take the loan proceeds and split them. My main interest in other appraisers is if looks like a flip, smells like a flip, and tastes like a flip, it's probably a flip and without fixing it up, it is one to stay away from.

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
I agree with you also Mike. I have had about 40 - 50 assignments in the past 6-12 months of 100+ years/2 story 3-4 bedroom/ similar lot size/ similar neighborhoods ( same school district ) that some local reputable builders have been picking up cheap and completely gutting inside & out and rebuilding back to like new.

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
Forgot to say THANKS to John Heller for that non-subscriber link. I like their articles, but I feel the annual costs are outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks