• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fannie/freddie More Manufactured Home Loans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Them trailer boys have a powerful lobby. Warren Buffet is tired of having to use his own money to keep Clayton Homes afloat.

D

Deleted member 134708

Title in article needs to say FNMA going to loan on mobile homes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The GSE's are being pushed into lending on manufactured homes that are chattel by their regulator as part of their so-called "duty to serve". It won't end well.

Why?

That story is kind of a hatchet piece and mixes apples and oranges and not very well. It's misleading and biased.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Why?

That story is kind of a hatchet piece and mixes apples and oranges and not very well. It's misleading and biased.
It won't end well since loans secured by manufactured homes default at a higher rate and loans secured by manufactured homes that are chattel default at an even higher rate. (I know, because my company has extensively studied default rates on manufactured homes). The real problem is that the regulators no doubt will not allow the GSE's to charge a high enough risk based premium (through additional points, interest rsates, g-fees, etc.) to offset the additional risk because of the duty to serve aspects of this.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
It won't end well since loans secured by manufactured homes default at a higher rate and loans secured by manufactured homes that are chattel default at an even higher rate.

Because people who live in manufactured homes, especially homes located in rental parks, shouldn't be able to get loans?

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Because people who live in manufactured homes, especially homes located in rental parks, shouldn't be able to get loans?
When did I ever say that? They should be able to get loans, but they should be charged a risk premium that is appropriate to offset the increased risk on those loans, otherwise these borrowers will essentially end up getting subsidized by other borrowers. Additionally, their lenders can find mortgage insurance from some other company aside from mine as we are not insuring these loans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks