• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fed Expects To Unwind Trillions In Mbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Fed Expects to Unwind Trillions in MBS
Federal Reserve officials said the central bank may begin to reduce its mortgage-backed securities holdings, which total $1.75 trillion and were amassed as part of a quantitative easing program during the financial crisis, Bloomberg reported Feb. 5. However, some worry that the drawdown could harm the U.S. housing market. > FULL STORY

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
So the Fed "bought" these MBS at very low interest rates and wants to sell them now at higher rates, so they'll lose value. Brilliant. I wished I didn't have to have a balance sheet. A 1% interest rate change on a 30-year instrument loses about 15% of its value.

30 year.jpg

Last edited:

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
kaboom.

If the Fed is selling are they still going to do QE? Who is going to buy that junk from fannie?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
kaboom.

If the Fed is selling are they still going to do QE? Who is going to buy that junk from fannie?

Investors are starved for yield. Pension funds and endowments funds buy long term investment grade (guaranteed) bonds.

The real problem occurs when Apple has to roll over its debt in a rising interest rate environment. Apple has been using debt to buy back equity (stock) and pay dividends. Any operating gain or loss is multiplied by the leverage ratio (debt to equity).

D

Deleted member 134708

If that $230bn (AAPL) over there gets repatriated, prob solved for lot of companies.

Also if I was the Fed. I'd be shifting everything to 100 yr bonds while rates are zero. (Obviously not all new issues, but you get my point)

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
The "toxic" assets are still produced daily. And what happens if the home prices adjust downwards. A spoon full of sugar.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The "toxic" assets are still produced daily. And what happens if the home prices adjust downwards. A spoon full of sugar.

When forced selling caused home prices to decline, Wall Street buying homes caused prices to increase because the rental yield and tax treatment was more favorable than conventional investments.

Banks are still sitting on nonperforming assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks