• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fed up with bad, inaccurate orders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy in FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Is it just me? In the last few weeks, particularly, I've been dealing with a MOUNTAIN of orders that are inaccurate, incomplete, or just plain stupid. Subject address OK, but listed in the wrong town and county. (Usually one I don't cover but it takes me an UNPAID! hour of digging to figure it out.) Owner names garbled. No mention that this is a purchase. Ridiculously inflated "estimated values" on drive by orders....but do an interior if the value is iffy...which you don't know until you've gone out there in my rural, non MLS/internet area, and of course no one is home, etc. Phone numbers disconnected. No legal description. No address. Asking for a COD without warning the borrower. Borrowers who are changing their minds constantly about whether or not they're going to do the loan. ARRRGGGHH!

It's taking me more time to sort out the problems than it does to do the appraisals. I suspect that this is a product of the "instant financing" boom. Is it just me?

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Definately not just U I asked almost this same question couple weeks ago. Everyone is busy BUT how much of it is Just chasing around? When no where near the "Estimated Value" or how about the guy wanting to borrow is not the home owner. House NOTHING like was told on phone. COD oh no one told me, GEE what did: U know I need to pick up a check when I come translate to U after I hung up the phone after FINALLY getting an appointment to see your FINE home. NO U R NOT ALONE

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Got one where homeowner is being relocated out of state. I got an appraisal on the home where he is moving from instead of the new location. They reassigned it once I got their attention.

Roger

Tony O\'Regan

Freshman Member
Got an order today that read like this:

RR 1 , <Name of County here>
Buyers Name

...and that was pretty much it!!

I just chuckled and tossed it in the trash.

airphoto

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I say, again ..we need to charge a fee just for receiving the foolish order!

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
In last 2 weeks rec'd 4 orders from one new client. The first two of these had dislexic flip-flop of numbers in the address. Client rep acted quite non-chalant about the matter when I informed of the error, and saying something like "good thing you noticed that". Another common mess-up is the flip-flop of home and work contact phn. #'s on the order, or puts down their former work number. Another thing they don't seem to correct is the often bad penmanship on hand-written orders....and when you must call to inquire about a complete and proper spelling for name or address or phone # they reply with "we're really busy and always rushed to get the orders out". Bull ! Lastly, those faxed orders with typed text but super-small font size and 3's look like 8's, and 6's look like 0's, and 1's look like 7's. How about those "other" appraisal report pages or purchase contracts which are faxes of faxes of faxes....and nothing is legible anywhere. And yet, if we slip up on quality control they have a cow !

aprazer

Professional Status
State
New York
I think this is mainly due to the hiring of many new clerks to keep up with the heavy volume of applications.
I have a client that is getting something wrong on about every 3rd order. To add insult to injury, their guidelines have been changed to include a new requirement-"if the actual address is different then the one provided, please provide an addendum explaining why".

Can you believe this? I have to explain why they are incompetent.
You would think that they would not want an addendum on every 3rd report as to why they could not provide correct information.

It's not you.......wasted time is enormous. The usual excuse given is that
their processor (clerk is more accurate) ordered it wrong. LO's say, yea
we knew you would be able to figure it out, so we didn't bother to tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want speedy turn-around ? LEARN TO ORDER A REPORT AND TRAIN THE IDIOTS YOU HAVE WORKING FOR YOU !!!!!

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
We are all going through the same thing, of course. My observation is, in some cases the "client" actually wants us (the appraiser) to nail down the loan for them - in other words, if they agree to let us come out and pay us, then they will usually use that lender or mortgage broker. They feel "committed" then.

Also, in my opinion, many of the out of town and out of state orders that I get appear to be nothing more than telemarketers. I think they have people answering the phone and web search information that are not really mortgage brokers - just people wanting to earn a buck and don't know how to order an appraisal. I suspect most of them don't last long if they don't do a high volume. They are usually working under someone else's mortgage broker's license. I had no idea this could be done until I met someone who actually admitted to doing it. So, if you have an inexperienced "loan officer" just imagine what experience the processors have!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
So, what do you want? Plenty of orders with minor mistakes in them or fewer orders with everything correct. If you only had three orders on your desk you would have a far higher opinion of that order. How hard is it to call and get the correct information, or to go online and search the correct information.

I have received orders with wrong phone numbers. 9 out of 10 times I found their number in the phone book.

I have received orders with wrong addresses (today is was Wayfair and should have been Wayfarer). I found the correct address by checking on line tax records by owner name.

I have received orders with the wrong city. Easy to figure by the phone number or going on line.

I still get paid for those orders, too.

When business dies down, you will be wishing for orders with anything that you can recogize on it.

Now, if you get a strange order from a strange company, then I recommend doing whatever you want to do with it. I will not accept orders from unkown companies without payment up front. Isn't it amazing in these busy times how some companies can not pay their bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks