• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fee Simple or Leasehold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJames

Freshman Member
I am reviewing an appraisal of a duplex that is 1/2 owner occupied and 1/2 tenant occupied. Should the appraisal/review read Fee Simple or Leasehold? What if the tenant is leasing on a month to month basis? Page 138 of The Appraisal Institutes "The Appraisal of Real Estate" appears to indicate that it should be Leasehold. Your comments and opinios are greatly appreciated.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I suspect you are being asked to appraise the fee simple interest of the owner, not the leasehold interest of the lessor. If a monthly lease or short term, there is no leasehold interest to consider. Only a long term lease would impede the owner from having, as a practical matter, the full estate (fee simple.)

graindart

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
It depends on what the client wants the appraisal for.

If the client is a bank loaning money to the owner of the duplex, your appraisal will probably be fee simple.

If the client is a lawyer looking for damages to the tenant, your appraisal will probably be leasehold. (tenants interest)

If the client is a lawyer looking for damages to the owner, your appraisal will probably be leased fee. (landlords interest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks