• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA and interior photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGuthrie

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Are interior photos required for all FHA appraisals? I thought that they were only required for repair items. Any comments will be appreciated.

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
Why would you not take a few photos of the interior of the subject?
Kitchen, living room, and the master pooper. You could always hire
a trainee if you feel it is too tough. Roll Tide Roll!

ghrousseau

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
All FHA loan reports I look at have interior photos as a standard item. I am dealing with many appraisers in 5+ states. All the FHA reports I see have interior photos, so I think it's pretty much sop.

I'll check to see if there is something in a mortgagee letter for you somewhere.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Well, no they are not. Only when repairs/safety is at play. None of my clients that give us FHA work ask for them.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Hello AGuthrie,

While they are not necessarily required and should be requested upfront if the client does require them, it is a good idea to always take interior photos even if just for your work file.

From Appendix D.

Subject Photographs • Front and rear at opposite angles to show all sides of the dwelling,
• Any improvements with contributory value that are not captured in either the front or rear photograph,
• Street scene photo to include a portion of the subject site.
• If the subject property is proposed construction and the improvement has not started, the appraiser should take a photograph that shows the grade of the vacant lot.

Comparable Photos • Photos depicting the front view of each comparable sale utilized must be those taken by the appraiser. The photos taken by the appraiser are considered evidence of compliance with the Scope of Work of having inspected each comparable sale from the street. Use of MLS photos to exhibit comparable condition at the time of sale is acceptable; however, the appraiser must include their photos as well to document compliance.

The documentation provided by the required attachments/exhibits satisfies FHA’s minimum requirements. However, additional exterior and/or interior photos, reports, studies, analysis, or copies of prior listings may be included in support of the appraiser’s observation and analysis, e.g. photographs of positive or negative view influences, property deficiencies, or adverse conditions, provides strong supporting documentation of conditions observed on the date of the appraisal. Photo documentation of property condition is always advisable.

http://www.georgiaappraiser.com/pdf/41502xd.pdf

I always take dated interior photos whether they are required or not.

Hope this helps.

AGuthrie

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Alabama
Typically I do include interiors, however it is always in the special instructions. This was a new client and I was unaware that they needed interior photos. If the property were close to my office it wouldn't be a problem, however there is no such thing as a quick trip to this property. The LO stated that all FHA appraisals require interior photos. I think I will just make it a habit to take interiors on all properties to avoid this in the future. Thanks for the info.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I always take interior photos, but so far the only ones that require them are REO.

Mitchell Robinson

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I also always take interior photos that are dated by my camera, that way no question could come up about the interior condition, as they could see for themselves, the date thing is more to protect me from someone saying you took the photos off the MLS, which I know some do. I keep interior photos of all my comps if posted on the MLS as well in my workfile. Not required, but reduces your liability, plus the report is presented in a manner that is not potentially misleading.

Jim Hill

Professional Status
State
Florida
Photo's

I take photo's of every room in the home for my file.

If a lender wants them that's fine but I take them each and every time for the file just in case something comes back or there is a problem this way I have some sort of picture and record from the day I was there of what the home looked like on the day I was there.

Call it insurance if you will.

Jim Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks