• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Appears to have become the Hog in the lot now for loans. What is in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
It appears that FHA is becoming or has become the hog on the block for all types of loans? Who is watching the incoming door for them on appraisals? Will the same thing happen that happen with the other lenders in the sub-prime mess? With the FHA loans will the tax payer be the one to pay for the lost?? What safe guards to you think are in place this time at FHA?

Will FHA call for the same new rules over at Fannie and Freddie, that no in house appraisers may be used?

Just got to thinking who is going to chew the fat at FHA?

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
Looks like FHA is going to be the bail out agency for CW, WF etc..

Given that FHA is watering down their appraisal standards on a daily basis there are no safe guards.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
What appraisal standards have been watered down?

stefan olafson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Dakota
Supplemental Requirements are virtually non existent anymore. The HUD addendum we all had to use is now gone. The class and the exam are now good as gone. Eaapraiseit is telling all their skippy appraisers to get their FHA credentials so they can continue using them.

I'm going to predict that FHA is going to be shortly the next big lender type to hit the wall, with the relaxing of standards being the biggest part.

What lender wants to see workorders for peeling paint, for unsafe conditions, etc.... That is the one thing FHA used to be good for.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Supplemental Requirements are virtually non existent anymore. The HUD addendum we all had to use is now gone. The class and the exam are now good as gone. Eaapraiseit is telling all their skippy appraisers to get their FHA credentials so they can continue using them.

The supplementals are still there. They're just called scope of work now. As far as I know the MPR's/MPS's have not changed. The HUD addendum was nothing more than training wheels in the form of a form. The class and exam were determined to be redundant because only licensed and certified appraisers can complete appraisals for FHA and are expected to know the scope of work.

I agree with the disdain regarding the little e company. Maybe HUD will kick them off their approved list of companies hiring appraisers. They had better shape up.

The upside is that HUD can remove an appraiser from the panel for deficient work with the click of a button. Try clicking a button to get OREA or any other state board to discipline an appraiser.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
With any luck, they will go back to the rotating panel, with a severe review process. That should weed out Skippy in short order.

saxon

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
My old Volkswagon van should pass as a house now.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The FHA review process is a joke and brokers know it. HUD send it out to the lowest bidder, some guy in Denver for us, who then sub-contracts it out locally at LESS THAN HALF the normal review fee. So our local stuff is field reviewed by some guy from Portland who drives out and does ten in a day.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Seeing how a large part of my service area is now at a FHA max loan amount of $729,750 for 1 unit properties and $1,403,400 for 4 unit properties, the dishonest mortgage brokers and their skippies in my area are going to cost us all a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks