• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA appraisals & trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Will HUD allow me to inspect an FHA appraisal property with a trainee and sign as a review appraiser with interior inspection? I have got more work than I want to have right now, but I fear HUD won't allow me to share the FHA work with my other appraisers if I don't sign as the primary appraiser. I accept full responsibility for every report I sign off anyway, is this acceptable to HUD?

Has anyone else done this before successfully? My guess is that since I have been assigned the order with case number, that I have to do all the work. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

Doug
Can't wait for the holiday break!

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Call your regional office and talk with them. They will tell you the extent of a trainee's involvement in the file.

I personally would not trust a trainee with a FHA/HUD file in this area.

Hang in there. I can smell the gravy and the fresh rolls.

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Verne,

I don't have a problem inspecting with the trainee, I just want to free up some of my time by allowing the trainee to write the report up for me. I wouldn't expect a trainee to know what to look for on a FHA appraisal, but I could point out what they should look for while at the property.

My goal is to get 2 appraisers trained well so that they can do the majority of the appraisal legwork (in 6 months to a year), while I do more administrative and marketing-type work. Hopefully, they will stick around for awhile after that so I can get my investment back out of them.

Doug

rtubbs

Doug, last page of the Homeownership Center Reference Guide:

"Note: The lender selected appraiser is required to personally visit the
subject property and all comparables used in the appraisal report. Having
someone else inspect and or take pictures of the subject property and or
comparables is not acceptable. The lender selected appraiser who
performed the appraisal and made the inspection must personally sign the
appraisal report. An appraisal trainees shall not sign on the appraisal report in any capacity."

Doug in NC

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ron,

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Doug

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Doug:

While the trainee may not sign the report, you can acknowledge that they made a significant contribution in developing the report and as a result, they get needed experience and the report can then be placed on a log if your state requires trainees to maintain a file of reports completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks