• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Case Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctag1003

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
You guys were so much help yesterday that I have another one for you. Just got a fax print out from a lender from the FHA Connection webpage for a property they need appraised but I am not listed as the appraiser. Another appraiser is already assigned. Can I do it and use that number? Are any disclosures needed regarding that?

Tudor

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I wonder if that other appraiser would not play ball with the lender and the lender is hoping you will play ball with them. Be cautious.

Narkissos

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I think we have just begun to see these kind of shenanigans. I have been logging all of the FHA comp check, pred. values, emails... I have been receiving and forwarded all of them the OIG hotline today.

If enough of us make noise they will have no choice but to listen!!!

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Some brokers will send the FHA case number written on an order sheet, separate email, etc. But that is not good enough. Make sure they send you the actual case number assignment from HUD with the appraisers name on it (and make sure it is you)...

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Some brokers will send the FHA case number written on an order sheet, separate email, etc. But that is not good enough. Make sure they send you the actual case number assignment from HUD with the appraisers name on it (and make sure it is you)...
YES!!!!!!!

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Question 8: How do I reassign an Appraiser in CHUMS?

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Answer: The Appraiser Reassignment screen in the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FHA Connection[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] should be utilized. This screen allows lenders to override the initial appraiser assignment. Valid reasons for reassignment include: 1) the current appraiser is on vacation, medical leave or otherwise unavailable, 2) the current appraiser has too many other cases on hand, 3) location convenience, or 4) to further equitable distribution. Appraiser reassignment data may not be updated after the appraisal is logged.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hmmm. Sounds like another way to shop appraisers. This is directly from HUD. I was under the distinct impression that the appraiser/borrower/property were tied together. If the lender gets the report back and doesn't like it (value or repairs) what keeps them from reassigning appraisers? Note the red text. Just don't log the appraisal, and change the assignment on CHUMS. [/FONT]

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Is there a link where I can input a case # and see the appraiser who
was assigned the appraisal? I never knew this stuff. I'm sure I will
get creamed for saying this (sigh) but I did one the other day, MB
said he might go FHA...completed the report conventionally, it didn't
fly, then he sent over the post dated FHA #...I said, is the 'date' on
the report going to be an issue....they said, "Nah" (hmmm?).

Be gentle.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
It is okay to have the inspection date prior to the date the case number was issued, it does happen. FHA changed that rule years ago, not sure why they did, I think it is a good rule, leaves less room for funny business.

Of course it is a different SOW, did you do an FHA type inspection on the subject? If not, you will need to reinspect. Either way, you will have to change some of the lingo on the report, so the signature date will change even if you do not have to reinspect. It would be bad to have both the signature date and inspection date prior to the FHA case number date...

I have heard while taking some FHA classes that the clients sometimes will just submit a conventional appraisal for an FHA deal without telling the appraiser. Then, the appraiser will get in trouble and receive bad reviews from FHA for not following the proper guidelines. For this reason, on all your conventional appraisals, it is a good idea to make sure your SOW states the report was written for conventional lending purposes only, not FHA or VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks