• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA heating question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aletheia

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Is there a certain temp outside where your not required to test the furnace, also what is the certain temp for the AC. Thank you for your help

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
You can damage a Heat Pump by trying to test the the heating mode if its over 75, and you can damage in the cooling mode if you try to test below 65. In any case, you should never switch a heat pump from one mode to the other without giving the unit about 10-15 minutes to allow the coolant to stabilize or you can damage the compressor.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
For gas or oil heating, you will not damage them in any temperature, but it is a good idea not to switch from A/C to heat without giving the coils a few minutes to cool off or vice versa to give the heat exchanger a few minutes to cool off to minimize risk of daamge due to temperature extremes. I usually check in one mode when I arrive, turn it completely off and check the other mode right before I leave.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Good advice from Mr. Rex. If you are not familiar with HEAT PUMPS, you should read up on them. They are different systems from regular heating/cooling units. Also, there are different TYPES of heat pumps. Some involve setting the unit in a deep hole in the ground. If the home is on the waterfront, some will pump water to the heat exchanger. Most have auxilary heat strips that kick in if the outside temperature is below 28 degress. They are NOT efficient in that mode. The warm air that is ducted is a relatively cool 72 degrees without the heat strips. Since your body is at 98.6 degrees, it will feel like cold air. You DO NOT want to block off any heating vents. The system is designed for moving air through multiple ducts. Blocking off vents will likely "freeze" the unit and eventually burn it out.

Frederick

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
For gas or oil heating, you will not damage them in any temperature, but it is a good idea not to switch from A/C to heat without giving the coils a few minutes to cool off or vice versa to give the heat exchanger a few minutes to cool off to minimize risk of daamge due to temperature extremes. I usually check in one mode when I arrive, turn it completely off and check the other mode right before I leave.

Air conditioning systems of any type should not be run if the ambient temperature is below 60 degrees F.

I had a client who insisted I go back and run the central air when the temp was in the 50s. I contacted the Lennox Company and they sent me a reference to pass on to the client.

Hoffman manual refer page 8 http://www.hoffmanonline.com/stream_document.aspx?rRID=83243&pRID=70131
"Operating the air conditioner below the minimum ambient temperature or above the maximum ambient temperatures indicated on the nameplate voids all warranties."

"York" manual See Page 3 http://johnsonsupply.com/york2001/PUB/55000/OUT/O1Y.PDF
"Do not operate this unit when outdoor temperatures are below 60°F as this will cause damage to the unit."

Last edited:

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
In our area it is very common for the furnace to be shut off for the season or vice versa in winter. It is a fairly big deal to change it over. Most contractors charge $100 plus parts.

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Very useful - thank you, Frederick and Mr Rex.

Rrebera

Professional Status
State
Ohio
When you start digging into the ground we are now talking about geothremal heat pumps....they are either closed loop or open loop systems. Most heat pumps are set-up so that it does not allow the furnace to run at the same time as the heat pump. The furnace is considered as a back-up.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Some heating units will not function when the ambient temperature is over 85F outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks