• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Pool barrier req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Jaramillo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Can any one site (4150.2 or other page) the FHA requirement that a home with an in ground pool must have a pool barrier... Personally I have not found one, and I don't think there is one, but I do not claim to know it all.. Any guidance would be appreciated.

AL LLANOS

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I believe local codes are the requirement, whatever they are.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
It's state law in Massachusetts. All pools must be fenced in. It's to protect the children.

"Oh please, won't someone think of the children?!!"

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Nothing in 4150.2. It would be a code requirement.

George A Easton

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Few Questions based on the subject.

Party wall is missing between subject (who has a pool) and neighbor who doesn't. Subject does not have a barrier so that's an obvious callout for repair based on my locality, but what about the wall? I guess I'm asking a few questions here- Is the subject pool sufficient if there is a legal gate around it or does the fence need to be fixed too. And if there is no pool then I'd assume that the fence would still need to be repaired for a security reason. But then do you put cost to cure as half the cost since it's a party wall? Oh yeah, and what if the neighbor's house is foreclosed? I'd think that the cost to cure would be the full price assuming that one party is fixing/replacing it.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Yes. And secure, meaning a lock!

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Pool Barrier fence

Can any one site (4150.2 or other page) the FHA requirement that a home with an in ground pool must have a pool barrier... Personally I have not found one, and I don't think there is one, but I do not claim to know it all.. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Let me get this straight.

So if the 4150.2 doesn't mandate it its not a minimum property standard unless the local code requires it. Some jurisidictions require a fence and some dont. Im not sure if jurisdictions which require it also require it of all pools or just new pools, but I think it would apply only to pools built since adoption of the code.

So if you have an older pool in area which has adopted a code requiring a barrier fence since the pool was constructed, then it wouldn't be a code requirement for the subject. Correct?

A pool not having a barrier fence seems like a safety hazard to me since there are numerous
cases of young children drowning in them.

So it seems to me that common sense would require a barrier fence on all FHA appraisals.Correct?

I would call the HOC but it is Saturday. Any opinions appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks