• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA requiring automatic garage door feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbee

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Missouri
In FHA freqently asked questions, one of the questions is.......When an older garage door does not have the automatic reverse feature and stop when met with resistance, must the appraiser require a new opener be installed?

The answer given is as follows...

FHA requires that the dwelling and related property improvements be free of adverse conditions that rise to a level affecting the livability, soundness or structural integrity of the property. A garage door opener not reversing when meeting with resistance does not rise to that level.

My interpretation of this is that they do not require a new opener to be installed.

Please let me know if this is wrong and any references available to confirm the correct answer.

Thank You!!

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
At one time the opposite was true. I still check for it out of habit and will mention it to let the UW make the call.

TC

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Tell that to the family of a five year old with a skull crushed by a closing garage door.

Abester

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Someone can be crushed by a garage door with bad springs too. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
According to reports received by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 60 children between the ages of 2 and 14 have been trapped and killed under automatic garage doors since March 1982. This is approximately 4 such deaths per year. Other children have suffered brain damage or serious injuries when the closing door contacted them, and failed to stop and reverse its direction.

We should probably eliminate all garage door openers.

TC

Abester

Professional Status
State
Florida
It may be safer with no garage at all. Otherwise, everyone can wear a helmet with a neck brace with knee pads and crawl everywhere so the fall won't be too hard. That might be the safest.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Get the wrong size neck brace and it can kill you.

TC

Abester

Professional Status
State
Florida
Better just break out the plastic bubble, eh?

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Non-reversing garage door openers have killed two of my clipboards!

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I still check it. Haven't found a bad one since the forms change. Next time I find a bad one I will report it and require repair.

It's just stupid to do otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks