• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Roof Inspection Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I recently did an FHA report and the subject property had a worn out roof, so I marked the appraisal subject to an inspection. I've received many calls from the lender opposing this and asking me to change my report to "as is". I have finally convinced him that I'm not changing my report. Now he wants to know if they have it inspected by a professional, if I will change it to "as is" then.

My question is, what is the follow up process for FHA after you call for an inspection? I have done FHA "subject to repairs", gone out and re-inspected, and then completed the compliance report afterwards, but I've never marked anything subject to an inspection before. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Your appraisal was subject to the EA that no reparis or alterations would be required. If a roof inspecton indicates no repairs or alterations are needed then there is nothing for you to do. The lender puts the inspection report in the case file.

Sounds like your client doesn't have much FHA experience.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
If you change the report, it is all back on you. All inspections are for the UW to sign off on. For all you know the inspection could have been done by the owners brother in-law, let the UW sign off on it as FHA requires. Greg is correct.

Webbed Feet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Canada
Shadow,

Dont fall for it! .... Your client will find a cough, cough, "Professional" equal to what we call a skippy around here. .. It is NOT your job to take on passing judgement for, and responsibility for, an inspection done by a different "Professional"... They are attempting to get a sanitized appraisal and prevent UWing from knowing an inspection ever took place.

Simply respond that due to the wording of the preprinted CB4 on the 03/2005 form, that once they obtain that positive third party inspection proving the EA to be true, they in fact HAVE an "as is" appraisal and no additional involvement on your part is needed. They send the third party inspection report with the appraisal report..

See... they just don't want to do that!

Webbed.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Let the underwriter clear the condition, not you.

hawkeye

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
So all this being said.... If you appraise a home for FHA where you called for both termite and roof inspection. and the roof inspector said there was no damages and no evidence of previous water penetration and you know this to be incorrect.. Do you just ignore it? I saw damage and water stains on the ceiling, but since I am not a professional in that field I have to let it go? Even the termite inspector noted fascia and soffit damage due to wood decaying fungi.. I was also told that the roof inspector did not even bring a ladder out to the house, he only observed the roof from ground level. What should I do? I was called back out to the home to report any termite damage. Do I mention the roof damage I still see on the compliance inspection or just let it go since a so called "professional" inspected the roof?

Colorado Guy

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Hawkeye

This is NOT, let me repeat, NOT YOUR ISSUE. You identified the deficiency. It is the underwriters job to clear the deficiency - NOT YOURS - do not change your report!

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I think the issue has finally been taken care of. I don't think the guy had a lot of FHA experience. I still don't think he understands why I am not changing it to AS-IS, but he now understands that I am not changing it. Before I hung up he reminded me that he does a lot of work in this area and he would really like to work with me, but he can't if I'm going to be so picky. Fine by me, I'm better off.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yep....you did your job, your part is over.

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks