• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Safety Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow77

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I am currently working on an FHA order that has a front door that will not lock and close properly. I am pretty sure that this is a safety issue, but am not sure how to address it in the report. I tried searching on the HUD site and was not able to find any mention of a door issue. I appreciate the help. Thanks

Doug Trites

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Just put in your report subject to correcting or replacing broken front door.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Does a $25 door lock adversely affect the livability, soundness or structural integrity of the improvements?

Not measurably in my opinion.

If it's vacant you might mention it either in the report or to your client so that anyone with an interest can put a lock on it to prevent vandalism.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Does a $25 door lock adversely affect the livability, soundness or structural integrity of the improvements?

Not measurably in my opinion.

If it's vacant you might mention it either in the report or to your client so that anyone with an interest can put a lock on it to prevent vandalism.

It is not a question of livabilty, soundness, structural integrity, or value. It is a question of safety. Make the appraisal subject to installing front door lock.

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
It is not a question of livabilty, soundness, structural integrity, or value.

Yes it is.

It is a question of safety

It might be a question of safety if, for example, the door was secure by a deadbolt that needed a key to operate it from the interior.

What if the property is located in a place where people don't lock their doors?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
What if its located in an area that needs 1/2 steel plate reinforcing the door? Is a Kwikset latch set in proper working order much good? Here's a solution, for $3.83:

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
FHA Handbook 5150.2, page 3-15 # 16. Other Health And Safety Deficiencies

First on the list is broken windows, doors or steps

Just because FHA has made some changes, they have NOT repealed or done away with the handbook.

This is a safety issue. Call for it to be repaired.

Scott Kibler

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
If in your professional opinion, a condition poses a health or safety defficiency, report it.

Brad Ellis

Professional Status
State
California
Greg,

Sorry but I must disagree with that.

First we do not know if the problem is the lockset, plate or if the darn thing is out of plumb. It might be as easy as you suggest to correct or it may be a lot more.

And it sure is a safety issue. I guarantee that if someone forced the door lock shut and then could not get it open to exit in an emergency, there would be "heck" to pay!

Brad

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I was just going by an assumption that the door would not lock. That in and of itself is not a safety issue and would not have a measurable effect of value or marketability. There is not requirement that a door must have a lock that I am aware of.

Like I pointed out in my post, there would be a safety issue if the door did not operate or could not be opened (interior key example).

But I don't have a strong opinion so if you want to characterize it as a safety issue go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks