• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Lombardi

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
FHA never did not want rooms in the sketch; have they changed that?

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Only if there is functional obsolescence.

TC

ketchumid

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Idaho
I was told by my sketching software company don't draw the internal walls to the point where you are making individual rooms.

An appraiser got sued because the homeowners took a detailed appraisal sketch to the furniture store and bought based on the drawing. You guessed it - furniture didn't fit and homeowners sued the appraiser and won.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
2005-34:

· Include a building sketch showing the Gross Living Area Above Grade, including all exterior dimensions of the house. Include patios, porches, garages, breezeways and other offsets. State “covered” or “uncovered” to indicate a roof or no roof (such as over a patio).
· Show calculations used to arrive at the estimated gross living area.
· An interior sketch or floor plan is required for properties exhibiting functional obsolescence attributable to the lay out.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
ketchumid,

I would question whether or not that really happened, sounds like an appraisal urban legend, kind of like agents getting sued for saying Master Bedroom.

Years ago I was questioned by a homeowner who noticed the doors on the sketch weren't exactly where they should be. It was a good client so I went back out and corrected the drawing. Since then I stopped drawing interior walls, stairwells, you name it. Sometimes the more info you give equals more ways to hang yourself.

TC

ketchumid

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Idaho
I was in Orlando the first weekend of November this year for some training on Alamode software, that's were I heard it from the trainer- not verified beyond that. Sounds likely- wonder if anyone has ever heard of this lawsuit?

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
I was in Orlando the first weekend of November this year for some training on Alamode software, that's were I heard it from the trainer- not verified beyond that. Sounds likely- wonder if anyone has ever heard of this lawsuit?

Doesn't sound reasonable to me. The limiting conditions state clearly measurements are approximate and are to help the reader visualize the property and understand the determination of size. That's it. It doesn't include "to help the owner purchase furniture".

I'm not buying it. I tried googling for it, too, and nothing came up.

appraisalondemand

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
If it was quite a few years ago before the limiting conditions stated it so clearly, then maybe. This could be where the clarity stemmed from...just a thought.

ketchumid

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Idaho
I'll email the insturctor and see if he has anything more then a good story in his notes-

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I have been doing very detailed sketches with all interior walls, doorways and plumbing fixtures since 1982 and have never had a complaint or argument with any one. I personally think including a detailed sketch prevents many call backs and questions from a reader of the report. They can visualize the subject more easily with a detailed sketch and now that I include photos of every room, the photos and the sketch work together. It is also a cross check for me, if the interior rooms don't fit inside the exterior dimensions then I will double check my measurements. I use ten grid graph paper for my field sketch and notes and draw the sketch in the field to proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks