• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA sump pump operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozone

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Ok. This is a first for me. I have a client requesting a comment on whether the sump pump is working properly. This is not in a flood zone either. I've never come accross that. I also do not know of it being a FHA requirement. Of course FHA has the "examine and turn all applicable mechanical systems" requirement, but a sump pump? Unless I stand there with a hose and start filling I cant really make a comment like that.

What says you all?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I would say that the sump pump appears to be in working order since there was no water in the basement or crawl space. The key word is appears.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
You could call the owner & ask the question. Then make the comment, "Per Owner, the sump pump is working properly."

Craig Farr

Professional Status
State
Arizona
If the device is vertical-action or tethered float just reach down and pull the float up by the connecting rod/cable. It should kick on. If it is a diaphragm float, I don't know what to suggest.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Beyond my scope of work! Beyond my area of expertise. Beyond reason why they asked for such a statement...never seen such a thing!

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Ok. This is a first for me. I have a client requesting a comment on whether the sump pump is working properly. This is not in a flood zone either. I've never come accross that. I also do not know of it being a FHA requirement. Of course FHA has the "examine and turn all applicable mechanical systems" requirement, but a sump pump? Unless I stand there with a hose and start filling I cant really make a comment like that.

What says you all?

I say tell them to hire a home inspector if they want someone to verify that the sump pump works. There is no way in hell I would make a comment that the sump pump works....I am not going to take on the liability for the flood damage when the sump pump fails during a heavy rain 2 months after I complete the appraisal.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Call your contact at the weather bureau and ask them to start a flood:rof::rof:

You can lift the float and make the statement that it either came on or not. I would not make any statement that it is in average, good or bad operating condition, just that it comes on and shuts off. You and I are not qualified to make a statement as to it's performance.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sure sounds like a "home inspection" rather than an appraisal issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks