• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA-tension Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwand125

Freshman Member
I have a house about 65 feet away from high tension wires, I cant tell if it is in fall distance, how do you write that up, make the city or manufaturer sign off?

Any help

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Here is a past discussion that will help you:

http://appraisersforum.com/forum/index.php...l=fall+distance

Pay close attention to Ben’s response:

How to look like an FHA GOD and impress your client... call the transmission engineering department of the utility and have them give you a letter stating that the tower conforms to the National Electric Code and is designed to collapse inward upon itself. Yep, most utilities have them and they will fax one right over to you. Ergo, no engineered fall distance. Nothing to worry about.......loan closes

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
No problem. Just had to search a bit, I remembered the post because of Ben's great responce. He is da FHA master!!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Look at the date of construction of the home, if it was after the date the power line was put in, chances are it is a safe distance...otherwise, you got good advice here already.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Generally, high-tension poles and towers are engineered to collapse in on themselves and contain the wires within the easements. They've got a facility in this county where they build these things then stress them to see how they collapse. So, unless the wires are right on top of the home, you should be O.K. Just state the distances. The company won't give you the fall radius anyway.

You can always make an assumption that it's outside the engineered fall radius.

Roger

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Ha!!! Not the FHA master.....but learned through experience. I lost an entire building of FHA appraisals way back before HOC's and the new 4150 because I stated there was a tower to the rear of the building and the underwriter rejected all the loans due to Location. Wow, the builder was mad...however, he went to a mortgage company that had a former FHA staff appraiser and he knew the trick about the letter..and they got all the loans.....and Ben learned.....while he lost big bucks...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks