• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA Vs. Usda Paint Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInOR

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
I'm aware that the FHA doesn't allow for paint that is peeling, flaking, or bare spots; whether on the main improvement, or on fences, outbuildings, etc. Does anyone know if the USDA has a similar requirement? I'm doing a USDA appraisal on a property with latex paint on the fence, that is peeling, flaking, and bare. The fence is cedar, so it is not in any imminent danger from the missing paint. I found no guidance in the USDA handbooks.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
USDA follows FHA protocol.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
FHA alos uses the verbiage "bare wood not otherwise protected" or similar. Cedar is protected by a natural occurring oil. So I don't know if I would require paint, but let the DEU decide.

JimInOR

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
FHA alos uses the verbiage "bare wood not otherwise protected" or similar. Cedar is protected by a natural occurring oil. So I don't know if I would require paint, but let the DEU decide.
My understanding of the FHA rule is that cedar fencing doesn't require paint, but once it is painted, it must be properly painted...

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
First you have two issues FHA & USDA require PRE-1978 paint issues because some folks were still using lead based paint. Your property has latex paint over a cedar wood fence . Not too many 39 year old wood fences around and you say it's cedar with latex-paint ( how old is the house ? and how old is the fence? ) If the home was built after 1978- you just have an- ugly fence ..BUT so you can sleep tonight contact your HOC and get advice .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks