• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA - Water Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.C.

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Trying to find out if exterior water heaters need to have an enclosure. Assuming yes, but can't find any info.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
This isn't a specific FHA issue.

What would you do for a different type of lending appraisal?

It's not all that uncommon in California, especially Southern California which has a temperate climate.

D

Deleted member 134708

No, just double strapped unless it's tankless per CA law. Nothing says they have to be inside or enclosed.

J.C.

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
No, just double strapped per CA law. Nothing says they have to be inside or enclosed.
Thank you! Never seen one not enclosed, that's why I asked

D

Deleted member 134708

Thank you! Never seen one not enclosed, that's why I asked

Wanted to triple check so looked up CA plumbing code.

"508.27 Protection of Outdoor Appliances.
Gas utilization appliances not listed for outdoor installation but installed out-doors shall be provided with protection to the degree that the environment requires."

So if rated for outdoor just 2x straps. If not rated outdoor, looks like massive interpretation.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The FHA only requires the water heater be installed up to code. Look at local code and there is your answer.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I'd think the main issue is whether or not the appliance is rated for exterior installation (waterproof) and if so, are the connections (especially electrical) also waterproof.

The water heaters I've seen would not last long outside due to rust and water penetration into the unit, especially into the insulated area. I realize it doesn't rain much in parts of CA but it doesn't take much to cause an electrical short and the insulation would hold moisture a long time.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In California YES and double strapped even if in closure *** If you are not sure call your HOC BUTI have had associates written up BY Santa-Ana (HOC ) in the last 24 months ?

D

Deleted member 134708

In California YES

Incorrect.

Code states if made for outdoors than doesn't need anything but straps. If not made for outdoor it needs, straps and "shall be provided with protection to the degree that the environment requires."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks