• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

FHA window question

well0258

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
North Dakota
We have a 1919 home that’s in pretty good shape. Our buyer switched to an FHA loan. We have a small 3 season porch with very old windows, they open and close but the exterior storms can only be taken off from the outside. Will this be a barrier to FHA approval?

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
We have a 1919 home that’s in pretty good shape. Our buyer switched to an FHA loan. We have a small 3 season porch with very old windows, they open and close but the exterior storms can only be taken off from the outside. Will this be a barrier to FHA approval?
I doubt it unless they were on bedroom windows--:)
We have a 1919 home that’s in pretty good shape. Our

well0258

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
North Dakota
I doubt it unless they were on bedroom windows--:)
Thanks so much. The porch also has no working ducts for hvac in it. The previous owner cut them off because the room is poorly insulated and they sealed it off in the winter. Is this an FHA issue?

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thanks so much. The porch also has no working ducts for hvac in it. The previous owner cut them off because the room is poorly insulated and they sealed it off in the winter. Is this an FHA issue?
It is if you are including the "3 season porch" in the GLA.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Just pray the appraiser isn't one on this forum who just received the order on a 1919 home in North Dakota . I can se-him-her pulling up hey is this the house with stuck windows and no heating ducts after all I hear there are only 5 FHA appraisers in all of North Dakota : ) LMAO

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
No ducts isn't a issue... but that area shouldn't be included in GLA. GLA is always... Heated, Finished, and Above Ground.

Mike Ault

Professional Status
State
Texas
No ducts isn't a issue... but that area shouldn't be included in GLA. GLA is always... Heated, Finished, and Above Ground.
And also commensurate (equal) in quality with the rest of the dwelling. I run into that issue often where someone spends $3000 enclosing a large porch/patio and expecting that area to be included in the square footage of a $1 million home. The architect that designed the home and the builder that built the home thought that area should function as a porch rather than as heated and finished area so there are probably functionality issues that need to be addressed if it's going to be included.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Being of the same quality as the rest of the dwelling isn't a requirement for it to be GLA. If it's not of the same quality, it obviously will likely be worth less (or more) per square foot... but it still might be GLA.

Mike Ault

Professional Status
State
Texas
Being of the same quality as the rest of the dwelling isn't a requirement for it to be GLA. If it's not of the same quality, it obviously will likely be worth less (or more) per square foot... but it still might be GLA.
1634242621652.png

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks