• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

File Transfer Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol Kimble

Freshman Member
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone has a suggestion for me.

I am a registered appraiser and work out of my home. My supervisor works out of his home.

As I complete reports, I am currently transfering them to my supervisor suing email. Ha can download them, sign them, ship them back, etc.

The problem is that files are so big that we are spending a lot of time waiting for files to download and transfer.

Does anyone have a suggestion of other options they have tried? What works for them, what has not worked, etc.?

I have looked into internet based file storage programs that would enable us to copy a file onto the internet and have the other person collect it from there. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, what do you think?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Originally posted by Carol Kimble@May 9 2003, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone has a suggestion for me.

I am a registered appraiser and work out of my home. My supervisor works out of his home.

As I complete reports, I am currently transfering them to my supervisor suing email. Ha can download them, sign them, ship them back, etc.

The problem is that files are so big that we are spending a lot of time waiting for files to download and transfer.

Does anyone have a suggestion of other options they have tried? What works for them, what has not worked, etc.?

I have looked into internet based file storage programs that would enable us to copy a file onto the internet and have the other person collect it from there. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, what do you think?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
The problem is your internet connection speed. Obviously you don't have DSL or cable or you wouldn't have this problem.

Transferring your files to a web storage situation will not be any faster than sending them by email.

Why? The process is the same. When you send email it goes from your computer to your ISP then to the various transfer points until it reaches the destination of the mail server. And it goes at whatever speed your internet connection is.

When you send files to a web server it does the same thing, and at the same speed.

Both are at the speed of your Internet connection. The only solution is to get a faster internet connection if one is available.

xmsdfafdn

Freshman Member
If you don't have DSL or T1, I can suggest the following:

1. Earthlink Satellite. This won't give you a faster upload, but will give you a download speed of 300K-1.2M bits/sec. Should cut your time in half.

2. Use Winzip (www.winzip.com) or PicoZip (www.picozip.com) to compress the files before sending them.

3. Check you mail server. If you are using something free like yahoo, you can expect low performance with large files. It would be better to sign up with a company like www.crystaltech.com, pay 9.95/month for your own domain and email accounts. You will get much better performance on large file uploads and downloads.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
You might consider sending him the full report. Then he signs and prints to adobe ONLY the three or four pages he signed, and you incorporate the new pages into the report. Otherwise invest in a high speed connection.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
YOU MAY be able to use gotomypc or netmeeting.

I have watched it but never used it.

I know the file can be proofed and/or changed.

it may take tool long to loan on a slow connection.

Good Luck-ed

Roger

Professional Status
State
Missouri
As to compressing files,

If you are using AlaMode, you might want to talk to support, as I don't belive that you can compress the .zap file that Wintoral uses.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Do your files have the pictures and maps in them or just the forms and words? If it the forms and words there probably isn't much you can do. If they include the picutre you might try lowering the resolution of your pictures in your camara or look for a setting you camara's transfer program where you can lower the quality of the picture (more compression). Same would apply to your scanner for the maps and other graphic images you are inserting into the report. In ACI in an existing report you can right click the photo images, edit the image, change the size of the image (makes the file smaller dosen't change the way they look or print). Then you have to go to File, change report type, (if it's a 1004 then pick the 1004 you really aren't changing the report type). What happens during this last step is that ACI packs the file and makes it smaller to take advantage of the smaller photo images that you changed earlier. The change can be pretty dramatic 5 or 6 Meg down to 600 or 700 Kb, and there is no difference in the way the reports appear on the screen or print out. If you already have cable or DSL you might look into upgrading your service to the commercial versions from you same service provider. At least for DSL, it comes in more than one speed for uploading data, download side there isn't much difference but on the up side the small business service can be twice as fast or faster. Of course they are going to charge you twice as much too.

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
Although you need a faster connection for this, like a DSL
or Cable modem connection, I recommend that you set up
a FTP server (File Transfer Protocol). This is the best and
safest way of trasfering a file form one computer location
to another. Your computer will be the storage
machine ,and you could store all the information that you
want your partner to download. If will always be
available for him all the time . And He could also be
a client , not only He could download from your computer
machine , He could also upload some files. It means that
both of you could do the file tranfering in both ways. A good computer user or friend could set it up for
you.

Not so hard to do, a Windows 2000 operating system has this capability.

Before I forgot , FTP service is the fastest service for
doing file tranfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks