• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Files Are Tooo Large To Email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durano Joe

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Hey, I'm a new user of ACI and I just found this board. Great timing as I have a problem and need an answer this weekend if possible.

I had a normal sized file, then I scanned in a couple of maps that were large and made the file too large to send on MSN (over the 3200 kb limit). :angry:
I deleted the maps and then the photos to make the file smaller but it is still too large. :angry: :angry: I saved and closed the file but I think the email is trying to send the file as it was before I deleted the large images.

What do you think is the problem? and the solution?

Is there a way to see the file size before I try to email it?
or is there a way to compress the file?

I using version 7.3.2 and I using earthlink or MSN for email.

Thanks for the help.
Bruce coming
New Mexico
[email protected]

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Bruce,

What kind of image file are you using? Some of the formats take up a tremendous amount of space compared to others.

*.tiff is one of the most compact but many program do not support it.

I suggest saving your images in *.jpeg, this is on of the most common and fairly compact.

Also reduce your images down to small thumbnail before you send them. You can also create a sheet of images that will reduce the file size.

If you want to know the size of any image, any where, just right click on it and select properties and read the info there.

good luck tr

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I assume you are converting to adobe, you may have to break them into 2 files, ours are 20 pages and are about 2,000,000 bytes.

When you "attach file" and answer the file #, you can click (or double click) and that file should come up for viewing.

We use that to make sure the correct file has been attached.

Some servers have a limit on size, hence you would have to send another E-mail with the 2 nd file. Chances you did not rename the file without the maps.

Also, if you scan in pages, set the scanner at the lowest res.(not photo)
Most photos run about 75,000 bytes in jpeg. Check yours to see.

Good luck, ed in Arkansas

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
I had the same problem for over a year...don't have ACI, but MCS. About a month ago one of my trainees' said...."Hey, you're not printing to the distiller; that's why your files are so large".....She was absolutely right. Over the past year I had tweaked everything, changed settings, shrunk and shrunk, which chopped the file down just a tad. Now my files are in the low kb range, instead of 3 MB+, all because I was not printing to the distiller. Check that out.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
You need to go into each of the images in your report and change the size. Try making them 50% smaller. After you've done that you'll probably notice that the file size hasn't changed. The next step is to go to File, Change Report Type. (Very important!!!! make sure the pack you change to has each of the forms and the same number of forms as the original report. If the originial had 4 extra map pages or comp pages the pack you are converting to must have the same number or more of those pagesl Otherwise some of the pictures, images, maps won't convert.) After you do that your file size will be smaller because during the conversion process all the extra space is compressed out of the old report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks