• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Finished Basement w/No Permit in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookie

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I'm working on the assignment of a refi in Union Co, NC of a newer property. It was purchased with an unfinished basement from the builder and the homeowner finished about 75% of the basement. He did a nice job- very nice addition to the living space. He had a bath rough-in installed with a lift pump for a future bathroom. BUT- he did not pull permits. How would you treat this in the report?

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Would the typical buyer pay extra for it regardless of permits?

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Fannie, VA, FHA, non-mortgage assignment?

Brookie

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If permits were not an issue definitely yes- it adds value.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Do most buyers check?

What if you were looking at basement finish that was say, 5 years old; would you be checking permits then? Would buyers be?

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Can you assign value to an illegal use?

Legally, could the code compliance department require the non-permitted improvements be removed?

If you appraised the property at $zzz bucks and included a value for the non-permitted improvements and the property was insured based upon the results of your appraisal, could you be sued should the insurance company, if the improvements burn down, refuse to honor a claim when it discovers that no permits were issued for the basement work?

Brookie

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If I disclose, which of course I would, in the report that the improvements are not permitted but are given value and also state, which I do, that my report is not to be used for determination of insurance value, would an insurance company have a case?

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
You might want to ask your E&O carrier that question.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Much depends on your area. Some communities have lax standards and would only require a fine, others might require inspection and a fine, while some others would require removal. You could ask the building department, hypothetically (not giving any information about where the property is) what they would do if they found an unpermitted basement finish. Remember, this is not an addition, this is work within the house. It might not be a big deal depending on the standards of that community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks