• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Flood Maps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
I was looking a the cd rom flood maps. My state would cost $400. How long are they good for? Does anyone have an experience with these? Are they are good buy or is there a better option? What types are people using ? :?

TIA

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sometimes, Interflood can't find the new street. I have the maps on CD from Lochsheil (sp?) and have found Interflood wrong a few times. If I didn't have them on CD already, I would purchase them. My $.02.

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
Currently I have interflood. It came as a package deal with alamode software. It seems to work fine however yesterday I was sent to an unrecorded subdivision, without an address. I could not pan the interflood map, it seemed to only key off only an address. It would let me pan the location map, not the flood. (Or I could not understand how to make it! I am new to this software, and profession! :) ) Also the interflood only lasts a year. To reup it's $145. I am close to forking out more cash anyway. What is the best way to spend those hard earned clams?

Is there a way to make the Inferflood pan without a street address?

What type of the CD flood maps would those using them recomend?

TIA

Claudia Cullen

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
David, I'm not sure how things work in your state, but in Massachusetts, I frequently find paper flood maps in the Assessor or Building Inspector offices. I actually spent $$$ and bought paper floodmaps for central MA. and now if the subject I working on is partially in a flood zone, I can scan the relevant map area into my report, via my scanner.
Claudia

slacker

I was looking a the cd rom flood maps. My state would cost $400
TIA

Go to the FEMA site and view them for free! There has been some discussion on this before. Seems that many appraisers like to add a flood map to the report when it's only required that we view one.

You can pan the map for a specific location too.

Makes your report look pretty but it's really not required to put one in.

You can send me the $400 bucks for the info.

A

Anonymous

The last time I checked paper flood maps were available for free to lenders. If this is the case you may be able to obtain maps from your clients, thats what I did years ago.

Mike Simpson

Dave asked "how long are they good for?"

Good question--I had some of my maps for 10 years or more. Then somewhat recently FEMA updated them! Areas once in a flood plain were no longer in a flood plain.

FEMA did, thankfully, leave the worlds major mountain ranges & oceans in their original positions.

-Mike

G-man

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
You may also want to try floodinsights.com. They provide, for a fee, access to updated flood maps in a very easy to use search feature. It places the subject on the street within a few feet and also provides the census tract as well. I'm not sure of the cost, but it is a quick, accurate and easy way to obtain flood map info. :lol:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Paper maps from FEMA are not free. I have a complete set for the two counties I work and it cost approximately $200 for everything. Flood maps on CD cost me less than $100 for my two counties. Another good reason to use Alamode software, reasonable cost for maps. IDC data is included free with my membership...it gives me the map and zone. If it is in a flood zone, I can download a map but since I have them all in paper form I don't. Just scan it in and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks