• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

flooded home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHerbst

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Texas
I am doing an appraisal of a home which was built in the 100 year flood. It flooded in 1991 so the guy built his own personal levy around the house to keep out future flood waters.

The appraisal district will not give him a break on the value so he wants an appraisal to make is point. In my mind it is less than it would be otherwise but how much. It is about 5,000 SF, very nice custom home.

Can anyone help me with market data to derive an adjustment for Flood vs not in flood. Maybe someone from Houston??? [email protected]

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Check for mold, double check, triple check, and quadruple check for mold. Look in places you woulda neva thunk. BEHIND the sheet rock, water heater closet, storage, etc....Mold is the key....a mycotoxic mold may make the property uninhabitable....48 Hours wasn't jerking your chain. This problem is real.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
In the 80's there was a home in Pasadena, Texas that was in the flood plain (elevation 10') that had a 6' berm around it and flood gates. That would be a perfect comp if it has sold. You might call a Pasadena appraiser.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks