• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Floor furnance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock27

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Is this legal??? Got an appraisal order today, realtor says has a floor furnace. No duct work????
Help.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
There is nothing wrong with a floor furnace or space heaters either. They were quite common years ago.

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
You might consider recommending an expert check it out. Not many of those down here in the Sunshine State, but ran across one last year that looked okay, produced heat when turned on, but the professional said it was leaking badly and probably had a very short life expectancy. The loan officer couldn't believe I made the inspection a VC and "delayed the closing" for no good reason. I'm still waiting by the phone for his apology. :roll:

Larry Lyke

Be sure to note if the wall furnance or floor furnace is used to heat a tanden room off the first tier of rooms.

Call for a cert so that the "expert" can make the call for an auxilliary heat source for that partitioned room(s) -- because 2 doors between the main heat source may be closed from time to time blocking air flow, and the air current would probably be inadequate.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Floor furnaces are really an old item. They are a form of space heat. I would call for an inspection of them since I don't think they are built anymore. Chances are that there could be something wrong in the heat excahnger. One problem was the really hot heat and little children. I remember my Grandma having one and I also remember walking over it in my stocking feet. HOT.

Up here in northern Michigan, space heaters and wall furnaces generally can carry an 800sf house. Over that or in a house that is long or without large open spaces, you really need some form of central heat.

BenLuby

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Actually, if it is FHA, space heaters must be properly ventilated and state such. Make sure that, if it is a space heater, it is one of the newer, legal ones. The older ones tend to be unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks