• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Floor Heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearslide

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Was in a home today - 4 year old 2 story - and it had hot water floor heat. I always thought you had to lay the tubing in special concrete type mix and embed the tubing. Not so....this was hung about an inch below the sub-floor with special insulation underneath.

The owner really couldn't comment on cost savings because he had the house built that way. But boy, could you feel the difference in the heat! It was one of those nasty cold days today where the cold just gets into your bones - I wasn't in that house 2 minutes and I was warm. It was a very gentle heat coming right up through my tootsies. Boy - would I love to have this in my kitchen and bath.

I have seen tv shows about this type heat, but today was my first encounter with it. Does anyone here have this type heat or know someone who does? Is there any kind of cost savings? Anyone seeing any kind of premium for this type heat in the market place?

Last edited:

Caligirl

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I am considering having this installed in our house. The first floor is cooler than the second (heat rises) and this is an easy and cheap way to heat large areas if you are lucky enough to have joists and wood floors over a basement with enough room for someone to walk or crawl around. All that needs to be done is to 'staple' PEX tubes under the floorboards and connect them to your water heater. I've seen the directions and even I can understand how to install them. This type of system is also cheap. I got a quote of about $1,000 for the kit for 1,000 square feet ($1/SF) and can have a contractor or plumber install it in one day. As opposed to $10,000+ for new central system. I'm not a residential appraiser but I would readily assume the increased comfort level/improved condition would lend something to resale value of the property.

There are also systems which use electric warmers connected to electrical circuit. They are attached to mesh squares which as you noted are installed in adhesive and then covered with flooring, usually tile or laminate. The problem with these, IMO, is if something goes wrong you most likely have to tear up your nice new tile floor to fix it.

The Argus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
In floor radiant is becoming more common in my area. Really does a good job and adds to market value in the mountain communites at a higher rate than in the metro areas. As I understand it, if you have a high quality install done it's a bit more expensive than GFA or BBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks