• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Florida Water Disaster - Radioactive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
A sinkhole opened under the fertiziler plant in New Wales and dumped about 215 million gallons of radioactive water that has also been contaminated by gypsum into the main Florida aquifer But did not tell the public for three weeks.

Crews have been working to clean it up. Of course there is nothing to worry about, else they might have told you to start with.

:rolleyes:

Wasn't something similar told to the people of Flint?

Florida Department of Environmental Protection's spokeswoman, Dee Ann Miller, said in an email to the Associated Press. , "'Along with reviewing daily reports, DEP is performing frequent site visits to make sure timely and appropriate response continues in order to safeguard public health and the environment, While monitoring to date indicates that the process water is being successfully contained, groundwater monitoring will continue to ensure there are no offsite or long-term effects."

They're still saying this in Flint?

The company paid $2 billion less than a year ago to the EPA to fix, cleanup and improve it's operations. Sounds good, since they waited 3 weeks to tell anyone about this.

:rolleyes:

The Floridan aquifer is one of the highest producing in the world and is the principal source of groundwater for most of Florida, and extends into southern Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.

News Articles
Tampa Bay 10
The Ledger
Reuters
Daily Mail

Anticipated Future Benefits.

Some smart appraisers should be doing diminution in value studies for water issues, as it seems to be a topic that should be of concern to appraisers for a long, long time.

Ms. Janet

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I was born and raised in Lakeland. We grew up playing in and around the phosphate pits. If you're from Lakeland, you're radioactive :) All the mines in Polk County are closed, and I am pretty sure Mosaic was the last one. Unbelievably to me, people love to fish the closed mines! For a long time there was a battle between the state and the DEP about the levels of radium, radon, etc and the homes built on the mines. And that went nowhere. Honestly, I will be surprised if this garners much interest.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
It probably won't garner any interest,

Until some wealthy NY and NJ folks escape state taxes and go buy homes there, only to find out their water is below safe drinking standards and want to start suing people.

Yup, that's when it will make network news.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
It's easy to see your fishing bobber at night though.
5X-Fluorescent-Squid-Cuttlefish-Sleeve-Jig-Fishing-Lure-Bait-Head-Hooks-Fish-hook-Free-shipping.jpg_220x220.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks