• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Florida Work Hit & Miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
It looks like a HUGE hurricane will rip right down the center of this state. It means a lot of damage...Trillion dollars? Cannot tell yet BUT Jose is right behind it. Disaster exemptions from appraisals do apply but still will be a lot of damage inspection and appraisal work almost certainly. Time to get those trainees on the trainee board a chance to help if swamped. They can work 12/7 and get a lot of experience. Lots of experience under fire storm conditions. The state board should allow lenient consideration of those hours worked numbers.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Jose will be a fish storm. But yeah, Florida is pretty well screwed. I thought I was well prepared, but now I'm not so sure. This could be a very long experience.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Disaster inspections will follow but if internet is down ( no power) can't send reports ,or receive the orders. If roads are not passable can not get to the properties. They do start clearing roads but depends how bad it is re travel. downed wires etc. I remember after Andrew (I moved to FL just before Andrew), street signs gone, - good luck finding a house with no street sign and house number destroyed ...- not easy work but any work is welcome after a storm. Gonna leave shutters up after Irma Jose and we are not near end of the alphabet .

Good luck Tom and stay safe. Thanks Terel for thinking of us. n

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I suspect this is going to be huge...bigger than we've seen. Think Andrew. This storm is bigger by 2x and how many houses and tall buildings have been built since in the last 25 years plus...far more than DOUBLE... 10x the damage I think is a conservative estimate...So, get the cell phone and laptop ready to work. You may need the money

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I will need the money. But if WI fi is down and cable is down, the computers and phones stop working. There could be a "dead" period, any time from a few days to weeks or even a month or more- depends how long power services are out how bad it will be.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I will need the money. But if WI fi is down and cable is down, the computers and phones stop working. There could be a "dead" period, any time from a few days to weeks or even a month or more- depends how long power services are out how bad it will be.
Comcast will be setting up wifi stations so that may be worth pursuing but I don't know if electricity will be available at these stations and computers (portable laptops) need electricity so that could be a problem. FPL is predicting 4.1 million people with be without electricity indefinitely.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/comcast-to-open-137000-wi-fi-hotspots-for-hurricane-irma/

(WSVN) - Comcast has announced that they will open open thousands of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots to Florida residents to help stay connected through Hurricane Irma.

According to Comcast, 137,000 Wi-Fi hotspots will be available to both XFinity customers and non-Xfinity customers.

For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, click here.

Once in range of a hotspot, select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots, then launch a browser to use the internet.

There should be lots of work after this Hurricane. If you have a laptop, load your program so it's portable and hopefully, you will find a Wifi station. I plan on going down to the Naples area in a few weeks when cleanup commences.

Last edited:

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Disaster inspections will follow but if internet is down ( no power) can't send reports ,or receive the orders. If roads are not passable can not get to the properties. They do start clearing roads but depends how bad it is re travel. downed wires etc. I remember after Andrew (I moved to FL just before Andrew), street signs gone, - good luck finding a house with no street sign and house number destroyed ...- not easy work but any work is welcome after a storm. Gonna leave shutters up after Irma Jose and we are not near end of the alphabet .

Good luck Tom and stay safe. Thanks Terel for thinking of us. n
That's where GPS comes into play and that's satellite driven system. After Andrew we didn't really have GPS like we do today.....back then when st signs were down and only partial houses were left standing we used plat maps to locate properties. Then again, we didn't rely on online govt services - nothing was on-line like today - we used fisch, MLS books, actual plat map books and the old FEMA paper maps.

The online information and websites aren't going away...the problem would be getting online to access it.

Last edited:

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I work from home computer not a laptop.....I can always get a laptop if need to. I use wifi on my iphone but Comcast cable for computer. Naples is per latest track supposed to get the worst of the storm but it can change any time.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
="J Grant, post: 2792014, member: 116138"]I work from home computer not a laptop.....I can always get a laptop if need to.

Well I guess if you want to work you might need to get one. Otherwise, without electricity, right now, you may need a portable office until you don't need one anymore. Good luck and I hope things go well for you!

Naples is per latest track supposed to get the worst of the storm but it can change any time

I know.

Last edited:

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
You can get a DC to AC converter that plugs into the car cigarette lighter. They are less than $50 It can charge your laptop and your cell phone as you drive. So long as you can find a hot spot and have gasoline, you can work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks