• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

For those who think the SRA is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
We've had lots of discussions about the pros/cons of having the SRA, getting the SRA, etc... however, has anyone noticed the proliferation of real estate broker/agent designations that are swarming all over the landscape? GRI, ABR, ABRM, ALC, ASR, CCIM, CPM, CRB, CRS, CRE, GRI, RCE, SRES, SIOR, e-Pro... I mean... Holy Christmas! You want to talk about alphabet soup? I've seen some realtors with 5, 6, 7 designations after their name (and don't forget the good 'ol MBA to boot!). When is enough enough? Also, I've looked into a couple of those courses and some only require one course (i.e. the SRES designation)! In all fairness, some do take 3-5 courses... but, even if that were the case, I should have about 5 or 6 appraisal designations by now! Now, there are some which are TOUGH (the CCIM... and the CRE which is invitation only) but the amount of broker/agent designations is just absolutely out of hand. If we think that the common, everyday person doesn't know what an SRA is... I wonder if the same could be said for the ABRM or the CRB?

Now I, for one, am ALL FOR people who want to further their careers as well as their knowledge base by doing CE. I have 400+ hours in the past 3 years alone (SRA education, CG education, "taking it because it looks like fun" education, etc). However, I certainly think that an overabundance of designations is the last thing that ANY organization needs (believe me, I'm not picking on the realtors here... they are just the best example that I can relate to!). Pick one, maybe two, designations and make only the best of the best be able to get them. The CREs, the CCIMs, the MAIs... they all deserve it (well... most of them do :icon_mrgreen:) as it takes a LOT of work to get there as well as a LOT of time and a HUGE learning curve. I'd rather see a person have that one designation that really meant something than 7 designations that a.) I've never heard of b.) don't know what they are and c.) don't know how they can possibly help me.

Just my .02. :new_multi:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
alphabet soup is now comes in large letters for the aging population....The proliferation of such designations which seems to be the cordon of the real estate "professionals" and is rarely found in other occupations save a single designation,like CPA, MD, etc. seems to me an attempt at putting on airs as a means to generate business. It implies a professionalism that is too often lacking.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
GRI, ABR, ABRM, ALC, ASR, CCIM, CPM, CRB, CRS, CRE, GRI, RCE, SRES, SIOR, e-Pro

Them BPO'o'ers are in a competitive field....of course they would seek an edge
over their competition. A little paid designation might make you a 'go to guy.'

Face it....the world is flat. The intent of TAF licensing was to make it so and
they succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

Financially Feasible

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Them BPO'o'ers are in a competitive field....of course they would seek an edge
over their competition. A little paid designation might make you a 'go to guy.'

Well... at least I don't have to do 9 appraisals in order to afford one class. :icon_mrgreen:

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
State
Illinois
A few years ago, our small appraiser's organization was providing CE courses in conjunction with a local state university through their extension department.

It was a great deal. The university did all the work and expense of advertising, mailing , accepting reservations accepting credit cards .. the whole shebang. Our position was to choose courses, help develope some courses, and receive all the avialble cash after direct expenses.

One of our members who had a list of the above described alphabet streatching lists of "credentials" became upset about something that had happened. He was not on the education committee or any other committee that had anything to do with the presentation

He took on to himself to write the full professor to complain. I received a copy of the letter.

He addressed the professor as "Mr. ... then after his little tirade, signed his name along with the full list of all his letters. It reached all across the page.

I agree, most of those are to impress the holder with his importance, and to try to put down every one else.

I am pretty happy to be able to put Illinois State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser after my signature on a report. I don't need to impress any one but myself, and l earned it. More than one course and almost a lifetime, it seems in practical experience.

Wayne Tomlinson

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
I'd like to put LRA behind my name, but my state says that is a no-no, so I have none of the alphabet attached. :sad:

Ted Markow

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
There is only one designation needed after any appriasers name and you have to earn it every day not just some atta boy class. It is DGA (damn good appraiser). I am still working to get it everyday. Some day soon!!!

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I sure do wish we had some standard acronym for our license levels. The full length liscense name is cumbersome.

jnordquist

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Although I do not have an SRA, I would not mind having it

Otis Key

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Count you Ed - gotta love it.

BTW - phone number is still the same - haven't talked in a lonnnnnnng time and I think your's changed after the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks