• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

For You Paperless Appraisers Out There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
what kind of notes do you make when you shoot your comps? im always trying to save time but for the life of me i cant figure out why NOT printing out 7 whole pages per inspection (order form and 3 comps/tax records) is going to save me anything.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
For me, I'll print out hard copies of records when I'm working on the assignment; but I've saved the documents as PDFs and they are retained in my digital work file.
I take notes/sketches in the field and work with them "live", but then scan them for the digital work file. Same thing with my interview notes with market participants or building/planning officials. Once everything is scanned, the paper is recycled.

What I want to do is replace this...
upload_2017-10-4_9-58-9.png
....with this....

upload_2017-10-4_9-58-40.png

Last edited:

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Everything is saved to a digital file of the property address as a PDF or JPG. My working file has a printout of the assignment and a map of possible comps. My field notes are on the back of assignment and map. I scan these 2 pages when I'm finished and discard the hard copy. If I need to see a document in the field (listings, tax record, etc.), I can pull them up on my tablet or phone with SugarSync. Started doing this in 2010. Shredded my last box of files this year. Everything is backed up twice on and off-site. Never lost a file or had a problem finding what I need. I use about 1 pack of letter size paper a year.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Everything is saved to a digital file of the property address as a PDF or JPG. My working file has a printout of the assignment and a map of possible comps. My field notes are on the back of assignment and map. I scan these 2 pages when I'm finished and discard the hard copy. If I need to see a document in the field (listings, tax record, etc.), I can pull them up on my tablet or phone with SugarSync. Started doing this in 2010. Shredded my last box of files this year. Everything is backed up twice on and off-site. Never lost a file or had a problem finding what I need. I use about 1 pack of letter size paper a year.

sounds cool and high tech but does it save you time?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The best time saver for me is using Total mobile in the field. It saves me about 30 to 40 minutes per report.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Problem comes when the file disappears from the electronic file (file corruption, etc). If some entity wants the file, 'the computer ate my file' isn't gonna fly.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Haven't lost a digital file, ever. Can't say the same for a paper file stuck in the wrong box/cabinet.

S is for spittman

Professional Status
State
Texas
Problem comes when the file disappears from the electronic file (file corruption, etc). If some entity wants the file, 'the computer ate my file' isn't gonna fly.

That's the thing I worry about the most. Not so much from file corruption, but not being able to open a file due to compatibility issues. After a couple of years of updating, Windows tends to have trouble with past versions of software. That's why I hate updating right away.

D

Deleted member 134708

I use 1 piece paper for the whole process. My sketch sheet.

Then when I go back out to shoot comps I bring with my just in case. But my comps are all in my phones map. And I just go from 1-6. Upload pics to Dropbox. And pics 1-6 go in report. They are time stamped so it just autosorts.

If need write down something goes on sketch.

Sketch gets scanned via phone/Dropbox app and done.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I use 1 piece paper for the whole process. My sketch sheet.

Then when I go back out to shoot comps I bring with my just in case. But my comps are all in my phones map. And I just go from 1-6. Upload pics to Dropbox. And pics 1-6 go in report. They are time stamped so it just autosorts.

If need write down something goes on sketch.

Sketch gets scanned via phone/Dropbox app and done.

I use an old cell phone to take my comp. pics and it is set up to auto download them to my desktop computer when it connects to my network. Saves a lot of time and I can import them to my photo data base very easily. I don't use the alamode photo data base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks