• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Foreign College Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colibri

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
Please, help to find answer to my question. I am very interested in becoming RE appraiser and have completed the required RE appraisal courses and found a mentor. I do have a Bachelor Degree in Economics with a coursework directly related to appraisal and experience working as appraiser trainee. The problem is that my experience and degree is from outside US, it has been translated and evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators company (which is a member of NACES) for the purpose of professional licensure and is an equivalent of study completed at an institution that has regional academic accreditation. Can somebody tell me if my evaluated diploma meets the educational requirement by AQB? I honestly believe that right education and practice speaks more volume than "degree in any field" but I am not sure I want to start that road of getting 2-3 years of training without clear outcome.
Thank you in advance for your response!

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
You need to contact your state licensing agency. They are the ones that will make that determination. I would try to get the response in writing.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Submit your INCOMPLETE application with college transcripts and supporting documents.

They will, in writing, tell you exactly what you need.

There was a girl here at work that did this (CR to CG). She was missing a few classes and several hundred hours. Submitted the application early (knowing the obvious discrepancies) to gather a response about her Canadian college degree.

It cost a couple of hundred bucks but resulted in a very important piece of paper.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The Washington Board of Real Estate Appraisers has established the minimum educational requirements for an appraisal license. The minimum educational requirements include the following:

State-registered Real Estate Appraiser Trainee

• Before you are eligible to register as a State-registered Real Estate Appraiser Trainee, you must complete a total of 75 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses, including all of the following: Basic Appraisal Principles, Basic Appraisal Procedures, 15 hr USPAP
  • No experience required
  • no College requirements.
State Licensed Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 150 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess two years (24 calendar months and 2000 hours) of real estate appraiser experience. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: None
State Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 200 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess 2500 hours of appraisal experience obtained continuously over a period of no less than 24 months. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: Associate degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, 21 semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Computer Science; and Business or Real Estate Law.
State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 300 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess 3000 hours of appraisal experience obtained continuously over a period of no less than 30 months. At least 1500 hours must be in non-residential appraising. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: Bachelors degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, 31 semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Computer Science; and Business or Real Estate Law; and 2 elective courses in accounting, geography, ag-economics, business management, or real estate.

William Little

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
A guy in the local assessor's office had his degree from a foreign country. It took some time but the college was approved for licensure. Good Luck!

Colibri

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
The Washington Board of Real Estate Appraisers has established the minimum educational requirements for an appraisal license. The minimum educational requirements include the following:

State-registered Real Estate Appraiser Trainee

• Before you are eligible to register as a State-registered Real Estate Appraiser Trainee, you must complete a total of 75 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses, including all of the following: Basic Appraisal Principles, Basic Appraisal Procedures, 15 hr USPAP
  • No experience required
  • no College requirements.
State Licensed Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 150 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess two years (24 calendar months and 2000 hours) of real estate appraiser experience. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: None
State Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 200 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess 2500 hours of appraisal experience obtained continuously over a period of no less than 24 months. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: Associate degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, 21 semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Computer Science; and Business or Real Estate Law.
State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
  • Successfully complete a total of 300 classroom hours of approved real estate appraisal courses.
  • Possess 3000 hours of appraisal experience obtained continuously over a period of no less than 30 months. At least 1500 hours must be in non-residential appraising. Hours may be treated as cumulative in order to achieve the necessary hours of appraisal experience.
  • College-level requirements: Bachelors degree or higher. In lieu of the required degree, 31 semester credit hours covering the following subject matter courses: English Composition; Principles of Economics (Micro or Macro); Finance; Algebra, Geometry or higher mathematics; Statistics; Computer Science; and Business or Real Estate Law; and 2 elective courses in accounting, geography, ag-economics, business management, or real estate.
Can I ask what source this information is from? as according to WA State Licensing website: to be eligible to sit for exam, you must have
  • A Bachelor's degree or higher (in any field) from an accredited college or university for state certified
  • An Associate's degree or higher (in any field) or 30 semester hours of college-level education, from an accredited college or university for state licensed

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Doctors seem to be able to operate with offshore degrees. I know, I know, appraising is a higher calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks