• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Form 71B

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I use to do ton of both 71As and Bs. While I have not done one in years I do recall that once you become proficent with the model you can do them faster than a narative. George, did you base your model on one of the 71 types or just completely start freash?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
You know me - everything I do is derivative. In my apt format I added an income multiplier analysis to my sales comparison, which essentially obviates the need to try to make individual adjustments to the units of comparison. Other than that all my forms look like a cross between the UCIAR with some elements from my narratives and from the AI forms. My multi-family rents and sales comparisons grids (which don't have adjustment fields) resemble those from the 71b.

I think the two things I like most about using a single basic format are that my readers can follow the report from front to back with no switching around, and all the fundamentals are in the same order and with the same format regardless of the property type. I (normally) do one page for my neighborhood, one page for my site, one page for my improvements, one page for HBU and methodology summaries, etc. I do different improvements pages for SFRs and multifamily and commercial/industrial, and different grids, but the front and back ends are virtually the same across all the different versions. If a reader can read one they can read any of the others the same way.

I don't necessarily save any time using my own formats vs the conventional forms, but I think they're easier for the reader to read. I have plenty of room to write in complete paragraphs and I've lined up the gridded fields so they "line up" down the page and are tall/wide enough for easy reading. Generally similar to 1.5 spacing in word.

pbidwell

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Steve, each appraisal assignment scope of work as you know is based on the appraiser's judgment. I think the 71b is a multi-family residential form (in my humble opinion). There are a lot of good appraisers in the Chicago area and did not mean to criticize the general market of appraisers there.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Pbidwell: Don't worry about it. It really depends on your market. In Chicago, we have thousands of mixed-use facilities that are fairly homogenous. They actually work well within the form. You are probably correct in that adaptability to every market is limited. Since the OP was from the area I believe he understands. Where are you in Michigan?

pbidwell

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Pbidwell: Don't worry about it. It really depends on your market. In Chicago, we have thousands of mixed-use facilities that are fairly homogenous. They actually work well within the form. You are probably correct in that adaptability to every market is limited. Since the OP was from the area I believe he understands. Where are you in Michigan?
Steve, I have two offices in both Ann Arbor and Tecumseh (bedroom community SW of Ann Arbor). Our firm does both Residential and Comm/Ind. appraisal work. Because Ann Arbor is a Big Ten city for UM we see a lot of multi-family residential appraisals.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks