• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Form for FHA final compliance inspections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomster

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
I am doing my first FHA compliance inspection (for bad roof, lack of heat system, etc.) and am wondering what form to use for this. Is it the 1004D form? Or is there a special HUD form?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Compliance Inspection Report. HUD-92051.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Bad roof? If you called for a roofing inspection, the inspector would sign off on that, not the appraiser.

tomster

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Montana
The home already had an inspection report that said the roof had under 2 years remaining.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
For future reference, when writing the original report, you should have called for a roof inspection. Never mind that they already had one done. Once you submit your report to the lender, then the UW would have taken it from there and your work (and liability) would have ended there.

Suppose the roof inspector didn't know what he was doing, we should never sign off on other experts inspections, that is the UW's responsiblity and liability. For all we know it could be a "skippy" roofer stating whatever the person who hired him wanted him to say. Many agents have "skippy" contractors in their pockets for this exact reason. Also, lenders keep "blacklists" of contractors, just like they do on appraisers where they will not take their word on any repair issue. I would hate to be basing a repair issue from a contrator who ended up being on every lenders blacklist. With this example, suppose the roofer was hired by the buyers agent and was coached into calling for a new roof. The seller might file a lawsuit, if he finds an "expert" who disagrees. You would be caught right in the middle of it all unless proceeding in the fashion I explained in the first paragraph.

Now to the compliance final question for this assignment. Who knows, the seller or sellers flunky brother in-law could be the one installing the new roof with faulty workmanship. Do you really want to take on that liability to determine the quality of installation? I would put on the compliance report that the roofer who installed the roof should submit the proper paperwork to the UW with the required warranty, this way your liability is off the hook and it is back where it should be with a licensed contractor and UW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks