• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Form W-9 And Tin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariba

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have a client that is requesting a W-9 and we are at an impasse on what needs to be on line 1 and 2. This is what the W-9 instruction say: “You must enter one of the following on this line; do not leave this line blank. The name should match the name on your tax return.”

(B) Sole proprietor or single-member LLC. Enter your individual name as shown on your 1040/1040A/1040EZ on line 1. You may enter your business, trade, or “doing business as” (DBA) name on line 2. If you have a business name, trade name, DBA name, or disregarded entity name, you may enter it on line 2.

Following these instruction I list my John Smith on line 1 and dba XYZ Appraisal, LLC on line 2. What they are telling me is that if John Smith is listed on line 1 I must provide my SS#. I do not, and provided them my XYZ's TIN.

This what the W-9 instruction say PART I. Taxpayers Identification Number (TIN) “If you are a sole proprietor and you have an EIN, you may enter either your SSN or EIN. However, the IRS prefers that you use your SSN”.

As anyone faced this problem and how was it resolved?

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
they are wrong. what you have posted is correct, at least as far as i know. that's how i complete my W9.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I send them my TIN from my S corp. That is what is receiving income, not me personally. My S corp pays me a salary. My S corp name goes there first.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I have a corporation whose name goes on line 1, yet I also have a dba that goes on line 2. What confuses the situation is when you have a DBA without having a formal business entity for line 1. For example, if you aren't incorporated but are operating under a dba, then you must be paying taxes on your personal SSN. That's what they are looking for, and it would make sense that your personal SSN goes on line 1.

On the other hand, if you have a recognized business form of ownership like a corp or LLC, then they expect to see that on line 1.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
My S corp pays me a salary
Always a little weird writing myself a check
I was asked one time about a year ago from a (newer?) bank teller "Does your company offer direct deposit?"
I just chuckled and said, "It's just me, so, no, it doesn't."

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Weirder yet to pay unemployment tax, yet not be able to collect on it if you lay yourself off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks