• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Former MLB players, coaches have mixed feeling toward the whistleblower on the Astros cheating scandal

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
"The sentiment by former players, coaches and managers perhaps is not shared by the current rank and file, but they are more outraged and frustrated by Oakland Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers – the famous whistleblower since Jose Canseco –than the actual exposure of the Houston Astros’ actual cheating scam."

"They said cheating has always been a part of the game, and that most everybody, including Major League Baseball, was content to look the other way."

"Certainly, it’s not as if anyone has sympathy for the Astros. Cheating may be as old as the game itself, but the Astros crossed the ethical line by using video monitors, and allegedly buzzers, which MLB has not substantiated."

America in a nutshell....

Crossing THE ETHICAL LINE because they developed a superior system of cheating (who knew there is an ethical line to cheating).... :unsure:
No wonder the game is America's #1 pastime.... :ROFLMAO:

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
But Pete Rose was not cheating. Broke the rules by betting on baseball. But not cheating

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
But Pete Rose was not cheating. Broke the rules by betting on baseball. But not cheating
You don't think he made line up changes and game time decisions to affect the outcome?

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
My observations: Being able to pick up pitches unknowingly (okay if there is a runner on second and he is stealing signs) is not fair play. Pete Rose was one of those guys in life who is always pretty much a AH (to clock a fellow catcher in an All-Star game, ending his career, is in my book, about as low as you can go (I have a similar feeling about some appraisers)). I don't care how many hits he has, just like I don't care how many home runs Mark McGwire hit or how many races Lance Armstrong won. I don't care that Sec of Treasury Hank Paulson is a billionaire.

That the Astros engaged in a systematic method of cheating is the more important story. Don't really care if some Astros have their nose out of joint about Mike Fiers.

Reactions: DTB

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Seriously, you believe him?
What was the name of that compulsive gambler quarterback who bet only on the horses, specifically standardbred Harness races? Blew his whole career...I think anyone who bets on sports knowing there are huge consequences if found out, isn't likely to be totally honest if pressed. Hopefully Rose wasn't lying but I think his problem was more than a casual pastime.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
"For Darvish, it hit especially close to home. While with the Dodgers, he had a combined 1.59 ERA in the 2017 NL division and championship series. But against Houston in the World Series, his ERA ballooned to 21.60. He gave up four runs in 1.2 innings in Game 3 in Houston and got hit hard again in Game 7 in Los Angeles, taking the loss as the Astros captured their first World Series title."

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Actually Pete Rose did bet on his own team, but never bet against it. The problem is, what about the days he made no bet at all, did he rest his best pitchers that day to use them on the days he bet???

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks