• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Found an Appraiser "Black List"

Status
Not open for further replies.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
Pamela,

It is not unusual for an investor to have an exclusionary list of vendors. In the past, I was a reviewer for a large wholesale lender and it took a lot of specific documentation to have an appraiser placed on the exclusionary list. And believe me, often the mortgage broker would exert tremendous pressure to have their appraiser given multiple chances.

From the prespective of the investor, they need the right to protect themselves.

Please don't misunderstand this for any type of endorsement for any policy that excludes people without adequate rational.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
interesting ...
nobody I know from either KS or MO...

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Something else is very interesting about this list: I know very few women appraisers in this area. There are about three in the Cental Virginia AI Chapter, none in this area, and I only know of one in NC and she is a Realtor that just appraises occasionally. Having said that, did you notice the percentage of women that have been banned? I notice the same thing in the NC appraisal and Real Estate Board news letters. Down there they give names and addresses of the accused, charges brought, and punishment given for appraisers and brokers/sale agents. They are either picking on women or there are a disproportionate number of bad girls out there. Does anybody know the %age of women appraisers in this country?

Tater Salad

Professional Status
State
Missouri
There's one guy on the MO list that is well known among appraisers and lenders alike. His listing is well deserved. I hope that's the case for all of them. If so, this is a good thing for the good guys, no?

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
In the paragraph describing Appraiser Stop List it states the wording "....evaluation and review of certain criteria". One clearly does not know the absolute reason how and why a name could find its way to that list they assemble, but among the A to Z's offered there are probably many good appraisers who do it right, and play by the rules, and find themselves listed because a sub-prime broker somewhere could not effectively coerce a higher value or a force a change in description of a detrimental characteristic of the subject property ! "Take it with a grain of salt" is what my grandfather would say to me, meaning that there is more to know than what is shown. Some of these names may even be Forum readers and are now p***** to see their name there.

Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I can only hope that those on that list are the worst of the worst. If so, this is not necessarily a bad thing and I can't blame the lenders for stating that they will not accept that appraisers work and warning others about them.

If anyone is on that list because they are a 'good' appraiser - then they need to know and do something about it. I do doubt that this list would be published without good cause for a name being on it. I could be wrong. Reality is: if there is good cause for an appraisers name to be on this list, they have very little recourse. If someone is on that list because they did the appraisal correctly - the liability against the list makers would be heavy.

Chad J. Houser

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Georgia
calotz

there's also a guy from GA who has a similar reputation. I know he's been investigated at least once. How he's still in business is beyond me. Maybe this list has some merit.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Chad, I turned in that same appraiser several years ago. The state investigated (they even got the FBI involved since it included some of the feds money) but after a fine, slap on the wrist, and you gotta go to this class warning....... they were back in biz.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
WOW!

Pam, thanks for posting this. A couple of years ago I did a lot of work for a mortgage broker who also happened to be a friend (or so I thought). Anyway, we had a falling out because I wouldn't hit the numbers. Well, the guy he found is on this list! Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks