• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

fractured bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Bertrand

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Ok, the tub and vanity in a normal
'bathroom'. A typical bathroom would be defined as plumbing devices gathered in one location for ease of use: vanity, toilet and tub or shower.

subject has toilet in another room of the house. The toilet is a composting type facility. no hand sink present.

Now, do I have "1 bath" or .66 and .33 bath?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I consider that a full bath consists of 3 items: toilet, sink, tub and/or shower. A .5 bath has a toilet and a sink.

If you have all 3 but you would have to walk through other living areas to get to the different components I would say that you have a full bath with functional problems.

Alan Simmons

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I would say that you have a full bath with hygiene problems.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Frank:

Does it have a shower or tub at all?

You mentioned the sink is 'elsewere' or not(I'm confused),
and the WC is composting which is fine in some markets...

??

I have seen pkenty of hig dollar homes where the 'reading room' is seperate and has its own ventalation system, so I don't consider that (by itself) as a functional problem.... but it is nice if it is adjacent to the shower/cleaning units for the gents (in particular) to S/S/S!

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree with Pam - if this "arrangement" as you stated is unusual in your market, then I would charge a functional depreciation fee to cure (if it can be cured - up to and even putting on a new bath).

My usual comment is that "Functional depreciation was considered to the subject's bath (or second bath) etc. as the toilet is in a separate location that the tub and sink and the market appears to indicate a preference for having them all in one room!" :eek:

If this type of bathroom arrangement were popular, then you would see it at least once in a while in your market. I feel the same way about a bathroom in a garage that is accessed through an unheated/unair conditioned space, even if the bath has been vented. If it was desired by the market, then I would see more than one every two or three years.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Judy,

I too marvel at those 1/2 bath in the garage thingees. I see probably 4 or 5 per year. It is a reasonable set up for two potentials as I can figure.

1) Hubby is quarantined to the garage by his choice or spouse for his activities that are not suitable for the living room, ie. smokin', drinkin', and listening to his 'jams' that no one else wants to hear. It's not that uncommon really. It's a guy thing I suppose.

2) The owners plan to convert the garage to living area in the future. :roll:

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Cat,

I resemble that remark. I'm currently putting in a 3/4 bath in my garage/shop (sink, toilet and shower). I also have a tub sink for general hand cleaning. I'm doing it because I get yelled at coming out from working in the garage with dirty clothes/grease on and showering in the bathroom.

Ryan

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
As long as my husband cleans his feet so he doesn't dirty my cream colored carpet, he can bathe in the house. I have someone come clean my house for me once a week - that way no one has to listen to me whine about being overworked. It also cuts down on the yelling about coming in dirty. Our family has more men than women (although they are all finally gone) and this woman works too hard to do that kind of work again at home.

mikegoff

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
On the flip side, is it a super adequacy to have a five plus fixtures master bath? Is there market evidence to support adjustment, both positive or negative? How about the outside shower heads for pool areas (complete w/drain)? Bidets? I believe appraisers have been debating this topic for years (potty talk). Almost all rural ranch properties (100 acres plus) have the garage cleanup area. It is interesting to see the logic and reasoning, appraisers from different parts of the country use.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Just as an interesting side note. When my family built the new house (and we still call it the new house) in 1929 on our farm in NE Nebr the cloak room by the back door had the only hand washing sink in the house. Then you had to go through the kitchen to find the bathroom, which had a tub and a toilet. And we had the most modern, up date house for miles for the next twenty years! Finally about 1955 a sink got put in the bathroom. The shower was in the basement and was a 8' x 8' room with concrete floor with a 4" border of concrete and still has the original wood walls. The sink in the cloak room is still there and probably gets used as much as the one in the bathroom. After working in the field, shoveling cattle feed, cleaning out the pig pens, etc, etc, that cloakroom sink was appreciated by everybody!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks