• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD247

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
In a recent discussion, Lee Ann said "...I sort of wish we had a Words of Wisdom file...".

I wonder if Wayne would consider allocating a section to Recurring Topics (similar to Frequently Asked Questions). Perhaps each topic could be assigned an editor, in charge of compiling and summarizing the current accumulated knowledge for that topic. Years ago, I was considering buying a Dell laptop computer. Some wonderful person had gone through the trouble of creating a web site that organized all of the newsgroup discussions and web resources for that particular computer. In the course of buying and configuring that computer, it saved me hours of research and troubleshooting.

This morning, the thread on Appraisal Updates answered a question that was holding me up on a job. But in a few months, that information will be buried deep among all the other topics that have any reference to the words “Appraisal Updates”. How about an easily accessible Appraisal Updates page? It could contain the reference to the USPAP Advisory Opinion, Jo Ann’s description of report options, and perhaps an Appraisal Update review checklist. I am certain that an Appraisal Updates reference would be a godsend for numerous appraisers.

Contemplating a Recurring Topics Index, there are a number of other topics that spring to mind:

Identifying Lending Fraud
Measuring Devices
Communicating with the Borrower
Beginner’s Equipment Checklist
Income Tax Strategies for Appraisers
Tablet Computers
Measuring Multi-Level Properties

Each Recurring Topic would start out small and would be expanded as new knowledge and opinions were gathered. The editor for that particular topic would be responsible for keeping the topic current and presenting differing opinions. As a sample, here’s a rough idea of a “Measuring Devices” Topic Page:

http://www.pierpont.com/devices.html

As new information was gathered, the page could be expanded and updated. Hopefully, Wayne would keep the Recurring Topics Index available to everyone, supported by advertisements, but with no plans for subscriptions or memberships.

This could turn out to be a valuable resource. Anyone else interested?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
We are working toward something similiar to what you described due to the fact that we have many different forums, each with a subject. Also we are moving toward having individual moderators for the forums and the moderators have the power to make items they see as important for their forum as "sticky" which means they stay at the top of the forums. However we don't want to have too many "stickies" as they take up space at the top of the forum and might take attention away from new issues that should also get attention.

From what you are saying we should have 1 forum just for FAQ and 1 volunteer editor responsible for maintaining each topic within this forum? This sounds pretty good to me if we could get volunteers willing to do it. Your suggestions are most welcome and I also welcome other's comments about this idea. Our best suggestions come from our users and I would like to know what other users think on this.

By the way the "search" feature works very well with this forum. If you will limit your search to a particular forum you might get more relevant results for your topics. You can do advanced searches also if you will read the instructions on the search page. Advanced searches can target into some specific information if that information exists.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Pammy,

Is that "moderator" or "maderator". Either way, I am amazed at what you accomplish here. Pat yourself on the back for me! :)

Ah, Wayne, sorry, we should congratulate you every once in a while too!

P.S. Is the AF meeting going to be at a specific hotel? Do we have a schedule yet? Can some of us be Johnny Come Lately's, what with family duties and all? I don't think I could be tolerated for four days. :) I will be in Orlando (Disney) March 3-7, so the wifey will have to very understanding If I come back a month later. Incidentally, just a regular flight on AA from DFW for those dates is $300 or one measly appraisal. I tend to break down all my "gotta have's" into how many appraisals it takes.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
I set up a searchable database useing keyword selections in one of the first WORD programs. Used it for cut and paste of canned phrases, AND notes to self.

Rather than reposting entire threads, may I suggest the ability to paste particular posts, or a series of posts from a thread (referencing also the original thread-line for those who want the 'rest of the story')?

By retitleing the posts with a series of keywords, inclusive perhaps of author, I think it would be possible to narrow down the words of wisdom to a more searchable format.

just musing...

I quite agree that many of these NEED to be located in a special forum for fast finds. I am getting pretty good at locating individual posts using search but it takes a lot of creative guessing to come up with the right combination to narrow it down to 6 or less pages of preview links on some topics... and as the forum posts increase this becomes more and more difficult.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I really like it!

Please, do not ask me to add on another one though. :roll: :sleeping:

Pam,

Thanks for all you do, I really appreciate it. If it gets too time consuming let me know and I can take you off as moderator of some of the forums if you like.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I set up a searchable database useing keyword selections in one of the first WORD programs. Used it for cut and paste of canned phrases, AND notes to self.

Rather than reposting entire threads, may I suggest the ability to paste particular posts, or a series of posts from a thread (referencing also the original thread-line for those who want the 'rest of the story')?

By retitleing the posts with a series of keywords, inclusive perhaps of author, I think it would be possible to narrow down the words of wisdom to a more searchable format.

just musing...

I quite agree that many of these NEED to be located in a special forum for fast finds. I am getting pretty good at locating individual posts using search but it takes a lot of creative guessing to come up with the right combination to narrow it down to 6 or less pages of preview links on some topics... and as the forum posts increase this becomes more and more difficult.

Lee Ann,

I suggest you get to know the finer points of our advanced search. For example have it "search for all terms" rather than "search for any". So if you searched for "FHA manufactured home" it would have to find all of those words in 1 post rather than just "FHA" or "manufacdtured" or "home".

You can also use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. You can use * as a wildcard for partial matches, such as manufac* would find manufactured, manufacturing and manufacture.

In addition you can just search specific forums, or specific categories as selected from the drop down boxes on the search page.

Search is good!

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I'm with Lee Ann. I have a file in my Word docs called Forum Information. When I see something that is or might be interesting, I simple cut and paste and save.

This has come in handy many more times than you think. It's right there. It is especially good for links that may come in handy.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne,

I don't mind being a moderator at all. Just don't want to be 'responsible' for keeping any more going than I already have right now - I'm swamped beyond anything I've ever experienced before!

I really like the idea of FAQ section with some of the best of the best.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Perhaps if we designated a small goup of folks to read and consistantly nominate appropriate posts for a 'best of' forum this would help.

I would be willing to do this.

I still think a best of (on top of stickies) with appropriate keywords in topic lines is the best way to file... The forum search mechinism if used for certain common word/phrases even with attempting to recall the specific author or date sometimes just comes up with too many hits.

I do pretty good with searches, but occasionally post a "I remember" hoping someone else will direct the individual to the appropriate post when I personally lack the time or ability to search for a well prhased answer that I know someone else already wrote... While our generous forum memebrs usually come through, how nice it would be if those 'key' posts could be found in a specific forum rather than searching many/all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks