• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Functional, Exterior Or A Safety Item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Doing a house on 80 acres N/E of Hillman last week and when I stepped into the road to take the street picture, there was a 275lb (+-) black bear looking at me from about 75 yards away.

My question is this;

Does the presence of a black bear on subject's site constitute any of the following:

# External obsolescence for non-typical critters walking around in the neighborhood?

# Functional obsolescence for big black critters as part of subject?

# Require an action on the VC sheet for a safety item if this were an FHA appraisal?

# Constitute an adverse condition effecting normal marketability?

# Automatically require the subject's location to be classified as "rural" even though it is only 2 miles outside of town?

# An item whereby a USPAP requirement would require that the bear be mentioned in the appraisal report to the client?

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
You need not mention the bear in the report UNLESS the bear contributed significant assitance in the preparation of the appraisal and report.

The the bear only BEARLY assisted you would not have to mention it...or pay him.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Actually, the presence of the black bear makes the neighborhood urban--at least here in Safford! They are occasionally sighted going through the dumpsters behind city hall.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
a 275lb (+-) black bear looking at me from about 75 years away.

My question is this;

Does the presence of a black bear on subject's site constitute any of the following:

# External obsolescence for non-typical critters walking around in the neighborhood?

Not if he's 75 years away.

# Functional obsolescence for big black critters as part of subject?

# Require an action on the VC sheet for a safety item if this were an FHA appraisal?

He's not part of the property, so I say no.

# Constitute an adverse condition effecting normal marketability?

Maybe some of the typical buyers would be hunters.

# Automatically require the subject's location to be classified as "rural" even though it is only 2 miles outside of town?
:lol:

# An item whereby a USPAP requirement would require that the bear be mentioned in the appraisal report to the client?

Only if you got his picture. :rolleyes:

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Richard,
If the bear is in the yard or within view of the subject property you put it in the View section of the sales comparison grid. Adjustments to comparable properties should be based on market reaction of said bear.

If bear is in subject garage as has been the case at my house, then you can consider it a safety issue. You haven't lived until you've stepped into your garage and find yourself face-to-face with a bear that's less than 5 feet away from you. I'm not sure which of us was more scared, we both screamed and ran in opposite directions. :lol:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Did the bear go over the mountain to see what he could see?

In my part of the country having a bear in the neighborhood would be an amenity and should be accounted for on the line for views. A big plus here.

I would "bearly" be able to keep a straight face when describing this to an underwriter. She would just have to "bear" with me. We all could "bear" the burden of disclosing the "bear" facts...maam.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Did you get a picture? I would imagine if it affects value one way or another you should have front, rear, and side views. With no pictures the UW may want proof that it wasn't a polar bear.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
After all you wags got through with THAT one I am ALL with Doug,
and the sun isn't even over the yardarm <_< , heck it isn't even UP yet :eek: ....

Does a bear in the forest know when to hit the bar if the appraiser isn't there to take his picture? :rolleyes:

black bear looking at me from about 75 <span style='color:purple'>years away</span>

DAMN you got good eyes!

:rofl:

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
This sounds like a competancy issue to me.

Are you competant to say with precision that the bear was 275 lbs +/- how much?

Are you sure it was a black bear.

Are you introducing a new form of block busting?
There goes the neighborhood ......when they move in values always go down

You didnt say whether the bear, if indeed it is a bear, lives in the area or was simply passing through.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks