• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Funny comment from homeowner about measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I was just at a ERC appt, I was not the first one in. As I was measuring, the homeowner tells me how the first appraiser looked at all the angles and his head spun. He then told them instead of measuring, he would go to the town hall and get the sketch. When I said, "I think I am more accurate", she agreed and said it didn't look that hard. I can't wait for the UW stip when our SF numbers don't match.

Jim Mallon

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
California
We often get appraisers in here (county assessor's office) wanting a copy of our sketch. You can tell they're just looking for the easy way out of doing a little work, particularly if it's a complicated floor plan. I always say something like: "Don't you think it would be a good idea to measure the house yourself, since you're putting your name and reputation on the appraisal?"

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I really hate incompetence. Measuring a house should be one of the most fundamental parts of the appraisal process. I took my wife with me once to measure a house. It had so many angles and curves, that it took me over two hours just to measure the exterior. Man, that was one of the best looking sketches I have ever done. I was really proud of that one.

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Tim,

That's not funny, it's sad. Very sad. ERC appraisers should be a cut above the rest. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

God help us all.

Jim Mallon

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
California
Man, that was one of the best looking sketches I have ever done. I was really proud of that one.

Inspecting, measuring and sketching a really daunting property and can be one of the more rewarding parts of the job.

Last edited:

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Inspecting, measuring and sketching a really daunting property and can be one of the more rewarding parts of the job.

Especially when it squares up without pulling your hair out. :new_smile-l:

I get a charge out of it when the client opens up the sketch in my report and says something like, 'Good grief! Glad it was you and not me!'

Green Hornet

Professional Status
State
Washington
Ok, I'll bite...what is ERC?

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I don't currently do ERC (would like to get the class and upgrade to it), but I'll do my best. Employee Relocation C (??? Council???)

When you work for a large company, get transferred, and the company helps in your move, you go through a relocation program.

This is the appraisal reporting that is required for these programs. It is not only an 'As Is' value which will be tested with the true market experience, you end up forecasting how long the property will take to sell and the likely contract value when an offer is obtained.

444nutman

Professional Status
State
Florida
Especially when it squares up without pulling your hair out. :new_smile-l:

I get a charge out of it when the client opens up the sketch in my report and says something like, 'Good grief! Glad it was you and not me!'
I had one the other day. I added up the sides like 6 times and the front and back would not match. This was a pretty basic house and I was frustrated that it would not match. So I went about remeasuring. Start at the garage and work my way around. Round the last corner in the back and there was a little 1.5' jut out from the garage that was on my original sketch but for some reason when I was adding the sides I did not use that measurement that was on my sketch. The realtor that let me in told me I must be real thorough since it took me longer than most. If he only knew. :unsure:

HarleyDude

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
New Mexico
Due to liability (drives everything) the office I work with requires us to personally measure and provide a sketch with every listing we do, it never matches builders drawings or what the county data states. I take pride in how we do it versus most that will take the homeowners stated size and the really lazy just take county data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks