• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

GAO investigates the federal/state appraisal regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen J. Vertin MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Sen. Paul Sarbanes, D-Md., Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, and Sen. Zell Miller, D-Ga., have requested the General Accounting Office to investigate the federal and state appraisal authorities (i.e., the Appraisal Subcommittee, the Appraisal Standards Board and the state appraisal boards) to determine if they are performing the functions they are supposed to, including if the current federal oversight of........... (the remainder of the story can be found @ http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/publicat...lt.asp#story28)

I called Sen. Paul Sarbanes office. An Aid called back within an hour. She stated the GAO has not responded to the request officially; however, it takes about a month. If they do investigate, typically studies take a year. They are suppose to be unbiased and they randomly speak to people in the industry. I asked if appraisers would be allowed to write or give feed back. The response was not very positive. It was just repeated how the studies were done randomly. She did say they had gotten a lot of feed back from AI which may have prompted the injury for an investigation. My hats off to Don Kelly at AI. This system needs serious corrections.

P.S. I told the Senator's Aid about this website and the appraisers petition. She asked about it again at the end of our conversation and appears to be writing the website address down. Who knows.

Steve Vertin

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Wow, thanks for the info.
Mell.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
Stephen,

Boy, there was LOTS of good (& bad) news in that issue. Thanks for the post!

Nancy

Larry Lyke

Joe --

The GAO writes fantastically interesting reports. They make great reading.

Getting action on a report is the obstacle!

jtrotta

Stephen,
Is this just going to be another investigation to stir up "our costs" of doing business :?: It would seem to me that starting in the middle of the process doesn't do any good; because the Banking Industry is the "gatekeeper" to our industry, it would appear they are probing the at the "stomach" region - and are providing an "inquiry" just to keep everyone occupied.

Slither/slither 8)

David Mullen

GAO has some great employees and they are very consciencious.

Unfortunately, many government agencies read their reports and then go on doing business as usual.

If they had some enforcement power, things might change but I would not hold my breath waiting for action or change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks