• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Garage space

Stephen Mueller

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Appraisers!
Is there a minimum size for a garage space? 12 × 20 12 × 24 etc
TIA

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
drive around the neighborhood and survey what is typical.

what size of garage is most common? do owners have small cars or large trucks? do they park in the garage or use it for storage?

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I tend to use utility as a measure. Does the structure have garage storage utility? Can I park a car in it and still have room to open a door and get out? If yes, I have garage utility. If every other house on the street uses a similar structure for their lawn tools...I may not call it a garage. It depends. If you are asking for some kind of national standard...I am unaware of any.

That said...12ft width appears to be minimum for anything other than a tiny electric smart-type car. I have some 11ft garages in my area tho...again...it depends.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You could probably call a local Residential Architectural firm and get a quick answer.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Age and market area specific and what the markets reaction is. Typically in my market the older the home the smaller the garages. Homes between 1880 to 1920 many people were still on horses and if they had one model-A or T it was parked outside, Those were often only 8-9 feet wide and 15 to 18 feet deep. Move up to after 1945 WW-2 and a typical Levitt style stick built bungalows had either a 11' to 12' wide by 18' to 20 ' deep garage. The typical 2 car garage up through the late sixties was 18' wide and 20' deep. Move into the seventies and most buyers wanted two car garages that were typically a minimum of 20' X 20 to 22 deep. Today the three car is 21' X 30" as very common .

The truth is with today's larger extended cabin long bed pick up trucks, many won't fit into any garage, unless its a custom built one. So you go with the flow, in old Los Angeles a 11' X 20' one car garage is typical. Very few people ever use them for garages and never did. Bottom line is as long as a garage is at least 10' wide and 18' to 20' deep a person can get a car like a Toyota Corolla in it. Also today many 20" X 21' two car garages will not really hold two cars. I tend to think of it like UAD on bathrooms . We call a 3/4 bath a full bath and garages are similar I will call a 18' X 20' a two car garage but it really won't hold two cars, unless they are very small ones.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks