• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Gated Developments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron in AR

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I live in small town. We have a new development going in with about 100 or so lots and one of the big selling points is that the subdivision is going to be "gated." No live security, no cameras, nothing like that - just a gate that requires a code or keycard to get in. The streets are dedicated to the City and are not privately owned. There isn't anything like this in our town.

It seems to me that someone could come along and challenge the privacy of this development since the streets are public. If they are public, shouldn't everyone be able to access the street and enter the development at will?

Anyone have any experience with this?

The Dog

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
those types of development in my area take around 2-4 months before the gate is permenantly left open

Andrew Urbanek

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Since the streets are dedicated to the city, they are public. Is there a homeowners association fee? In my experience as well, those gates are left open after a few months because they get annoying.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Interesting question. I never gave it much thought before. It will be interesting to see some opinions on this. But like everyone else.....they usually get left open after a period. It's probably some period of time after construction when the city gets around to providing notification of some sort *shrugs*

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
In AZ the streets behind the gate are private streets and privately maintained and covered by HOA fees. Are you sure the developer didnt get the streets off the city rolls and somehow incorporated into the subdivision??

Coded gates give many a more "exclusive" feeling and does keep many non residents out.

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Most of these systems are design to open with a siren, have one of those portable air horns you hear at games and that should open the gate. There could be a buried sensor plate to open the gate on the opposite side of the gate for exiting. The fake guard shack with an open gate are common on Cape COD here in MA.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Only in Arkansas can you have public streets in gated communities. Let me guess that some of the Clinton clan is involved and tax dollars put up the gates:new_smile-l: and if you dig dep enough, paved the "public" roads to start with.

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
How would an appraiser shoot the comps in a "Gated Community" unless they have the comps prior to the inspection of the subject in the gated community. One good reason MLS photos need to be utilized, with a notation of a security gate. Anyone out there in RURAL LAND see the posted signs and a chain across the driveway, a property we really need to shoot for our reports? I remember a report I did last year with signs all over the property that said "If you believe in GOD, cross this line and "YE SHALL MEET HIM", not in a Yooper AREA (you know who I'm talking about) I loved to send that photo in with the report, Comp # 3......

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Never heard of a gated subdivision with public roads. How can the subdivision prohibit public access to public roads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks